tunning my ecu

jason lebreton

thanks for all the help engine is running very rich but running i keep reading in the manual that i can tune my engine in the tunning section i dont see anything on pc link i have pc link version 2.5 i belive my ecu is a g1 as it has a flat ribbbon cable to connect to computer also if i make changes how do i get the changes to save into the link ecu thanks

hello emgine doesnt run again wants to fire up but stumbles alot then backfires it was runnin the day before now its not very frustraded i dont understand the manual for the link plus it says i can choose dwell time , direct spar, row, all these options i have a ej20h or ej20tt from a liberty legacy i have a link plus with a black box on a ribbon tape that connects to my link to comp i pressume it is a g1 in the manual it say initial start up on page 115 click ignition change dwell time to 3ms there si no 3ms on 4ms and 5.5ms also it says choose multi spark or dist i have coil on plug i chose multi spark then it says choose direct spark there is no option for direct spark or wasted spark when open pc link what do i open up to modify my ecu so far i open up pc link and open sample links plus and use that one everytime i open pclink i cannot get my engien running because the manual does not match what the computer shows thanks for the help

So let me get this straight....  You open PCLink, then open up the sample file, then adjust your ECU using that?

If that is what you are doing then you will have no luck adjusting your ECU.  You are modifying a file that is saved on your hard drive, not the actual ECU.  Here is what you need to do:

1. Open PCLink.
  2. Turn the key on to power up the ECU.

3. Click on the 'L' icon near the top middle of the screen.  PCLink will attempt to connect to your ECU.  There may be communications problems so you might need to change your COM port under the options->connection menu.
  4. Once connected the Link logo (top right of the screen) will start spinning to show connection is OK. 

5. After that any adjustments you make will be effective in the ECU.  Start by adjusting the 'Master' setting to reduce the amount of fuel.
  6. When finished changing stuff, click the 'S' icon to store the changes permanently otherwise they will be lost when you turn the key off.

If you have the engine running, there is probably no need to adjust the ignition setup.

Are you sure the plugs are not so fouled that it cant fire them?  So many people are convinced that the ignition system will fire wet or black plugs, but usually they wont...  Master is located in the fuel menu part of PCLink.  Reduce the amount of fuel down by heaps, put some new plugs in and see if it will go.  Have you put a timing light on No.1 to see if it is firing near TDC?

hey ashley made all the changes to the car you suggested wanted to fire but then my trouble light wivh is 110volts had a frayed wire on it and it arced on my car now the ecu cannot detect the link anymore i removed the top cover and removed the board nothing is blown nothing smells burnt i think the chip is done ill have to buy another link