LinkplusG1V10/subaru EJ20G Coilpack Issues

Sean Scott

Hi first time posting in here,  I have a USDM 93 subaru legacy with an Early phase 1 EJ20g swapped in. Ive been  running a Link Plus wire in V10 with th 2-dual channel link ignitors firing the factory coil on plug packs for a few years. I've always been randomly burning coilpacks out(replaced probably4 or 5 of them) for some time, always the #4 cylinder. I initially thought that it was the age of the coilpacks but now Im thinking theres another problem. I called my tuner here and he said it was the dwell of the link ECU that was not compatible with the factory coilpacks. What are my options for making this work without getting another ECU?

I was told that I could use some subaru dual coil packs with plug wires(from my original ej22t motor) and run it in wasted spark mode and use one dual channel ignitor, but have been unsuccessful in getting it running. Besides changing the dual-coil(wasted spark) setting in the Link ECU menu, is there any other changes I need to make to the menu to get it running? maybe the TDC +1 or some other setting I may not be familar with?

Another note, I have an AEM UEGO widebandO2 controlling lambda and am at cruising loads when the coilpack goes out. I may have been running a little lean in cruising loads but didn't notice high EGT's. The last 1000 miles I put on the car it was running great and I was getting 28mpg on the highway, its too bad every so often I have to limp it home on 3 cylinders and spend another 50$usd to get a used coilpack replacement, I spent a lot of money on this setup back in 2002 and do not want to get another ECM.

• 2 weeks later...

The issue will be on the LinkPlus the dwell time is fixed. So a change to a coil that can take longer dwell times will solve the issue.

The AEM coil would be a good option. Or another would be the LS1 coil.