Varying Boost control down drag strip

Paul M

Looking to vary boost pressures down a drag strip

Most use the timed approach but I'd like to have the boost vary based on driveshaft rpm or wheel speed/rpm 

I have the driveshaft input rpm set as DI 5 and while setting the 'wastegate %DC1' table x=rpm and y=speed DI 5, the speed DI 5 would go to a maximum of 400. What units are these rpm or km/h?

Any ideas on the best way to set this up or an alternative method to vary boost pressures down a drag strip?

Thanks in advance

Paul

You need to look in the help file on how to scale a speed inputs.  The max frequency input into the Link is either 400 or 500 Hz so you need to choose the appropriate tooth wheel that will keep you under that Hz limit at full speed.  If the frequency at full speed is less than the limit you can scale the input however you like and use that value in your tables or you can use raw frequency but that doesn't correlate to rpm, kh/h, or anything, its just raw counts.

Have you thought about using vehicle speed as an axis on the table

Previously Paul M wrote:

Looking to vary boost pressures down a drag strip

Most use the timed approach but I'd like to have the boost vary based on driveshaft rpm or wheel speed/rpm 

I have the driveshaft input rpm set as DI 5 and while setting the 'wastegate %DC1' table x=rpm and y=speed DI 5, the speed DI 5 would go to a maximum of 400. What units are these rpm or km/h?

Any ideas on the best way to set this up or an alternative method to vary boost pressures down a drag strip?

Thanks in advance

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Paul ;

switches on the festbord sounds like a viable option , another option is to set up wheelspeed sensors and use %slip to limit rpm(dunno if it's usable for boost control , you would need dual boost maps with the second as overlay though so you can have %slip vs rpm vs map )

Hope I don't confuse  you , there are a lot of ways to do this :)

Fredrik,

Can't use traction control here in Australia. That's the regulation ANDRA has placed

I plan to run a wheelspeed sensor on one of the rear wheels instead of driveshaft speed, as I believe I can utilise this input for more functions 

Probably have boost control based on gear instead of km/h, would be more consistant

I'm noticing there are lots of ways to do this

Would love more boost tables instead of 3 max, got one dedicated to just the launch

Appreciate your input

Fredrik

Thanks will do when it gets going

Still looking at my options

Got 4D igntion map for 1st and 2nd gear to reduce timing

2 boost tables, boost on the start and boost settings for the actual run for each gear

Got plenty of additional speed and travel sensors for logging

Should be fun

Stevie

Timing is mostly used but so many things can happen between these points that would make your run inconsistent

Timer switching would require dual switches, one for the clutch and a secondary switch

GPS would be great where you're able to tune to specific sections of the track. Would be expensive for the sensor and can the link facilitate a GPS sensor?