G2 configurtion for Subaru EG33?

Christian Krahenbuhl

I am new to these forums, so thanks ahead of time for any responses. The engine is a Subaru EG33, 6 cylinder in a GC wagon chassis. I am sure the unit can be configured to use the stock crankshaft and camshaft triggers. Although, I need the ability for individual cylinder fuel and ignition trims. This engine has dummy coils, two wires, and I did not know if the coil wiring could go directly to the EMS or if I would need to wire in some ICMs. If ICMs are required, what would be the configuration, Link team? The stock coil packaging is very nice IMO and spares are inexpensive so I would like to use the stock coils (no spark plug wires, great coverage over spark plugs, etc.). I have not purchased an EMS unit yet, I am still trying to figure out what all will be necessary for proper operation (additional ICMs or ignition boxes). I have the engine and factory service manual and I am able to take any measurements (mechanical or electrical) necessary. Long term, I would to use this EMS to run an LPi system as well. Any input or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Christian.

The LinkPlus G3 would be a good choice for your engine.  It has individual ignition and fuel trims etc...  Spec sheet can be seen HERE.  It will wire to the factory crank and cam angle sensors and pretty muchly all other factory engine management sensors.  If your engine has two wire coils (with wires coming out of them) then an igniter (ICM) will be required.  Pretty muchly all ECU's including the factory Subaru ECU use external igniters.  You could get hold of the factory Subaru igniter or use something like a six cylinder Nissan igniter.  If you want to be 100% sure, find the pages in the service manual that show the signals from the cam and crank sensors and attach them here to make sure the engine uses standard trigger decoding.

I believe the first picture should contain the information you requested. The second is more specific to wiring. It appears that a single 6 channel igniter is used on the stock engine. Unfortunately, the igniter is mounted to the chassis and it is missing from the two engines that I have for development. I can always source another one or use a Nissan one. Thank you very much for the quick response, I greatly appreciate superior customer service. Do you have schematics specific to my combination, Nissan or Subaru 6 channel igniter for G3? Take care, Christian. Cobb Tuning

> <a href="http:/www.accessecu.com/Christian/For EG33 2 Small.jpg" target="_blank">Cobb Tuning

> <a href="http:/www.accessecu.com/Christian/For EG33 Small.jpg">Pic 1 Pic 2

I needed to spend some additional time with the engine and manual before I could post up the trigger information you requested. It appears that this engine is controlled by two ECUs, one for 4 cylinders and another controls as two additional cylinders. I am not sure why Subaru did things this way, regardless below are the necessary pictures and information you requested. The two crankshaft triggers are at the front of the crankshaft, mounted offset from each other and the wheels are on two different planes. One request, would I have the ability to crank trigger this motor by two different wheels, Crank1 & Crank2? This would be ideal for competition if I get a sensor failure (Crank1), I can reload a new calibration that triggers with the other sensor, Crank2.

> <br>Any plans for any type of traction control?

> <br>EG33 Crank1 Wheel & Combined Crank1&2 Wh

> <br>For EG33 2 Small.jpg

> <br>EG33 Both Crank and Cam Signals.jpg

> <br>Pic 3

><a href="http:/www.accessecu.com/Christian/EG33 Crank2 Wheel Signal and Cam Signal.jpg">Pic 4

OK, so it is a standard issue SVX engine.  LPG3 will be no problem.  It will just use multi-tooth + sync triggering.  The sensor with odd teeth placement will be ignored.  You will not be able to run double crank sensors.   The reality is that crank sensors rarely fail, even in race applications, it is almost always wiring that causes the problem...  Anyways, Nissan GTS/GTR RB20, RB25 RB26 engines all had a suitable six channel igniter.  We sell Link high energy 3 channel igniters.   Obviously you would need two of those.  You could even run three two channel igniters.   Pretty muchly any  igniter combination with enough channels can be run by the ECU.  I can provide wiring information for Nissan igniters.

• 3 years later...

Ash, I've just installed an EG33 using the LinkPlus G3 and after calibrating the timing it all seems very happy. I've used the following settings:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii209/bazzasti/Triggers.jpg

I've got 2 questions, my rough TDC marking / timing gun sees a calibration reference of 52 degrees. Does this sound about right?

Also I've noticed that it doesn't matter which way I set the sync, either cam or crank doesn't make a difference and I've even disconnected it with no issues. I assumed as this is direct fire, sequential injection - that it needed the cam sync?!

You will require the cam sync as with 12 evenly spaced teeth there is no way of knowing where TDC is with out one. Once it has a sync then it is not required till the next start. Sync setting must be set to cam to allow full sequential and to avoid trigger errors. For the offset it is whatever is required to time up correctly.

As per the above, the car is hard to get to initially start. I had some massive backfires, one of which blew the muffler into pieces.

So I re-wired the cam and crank sensors in a hope it was interference or something.

However Simon can you please explain how the crank and cam wheels work upon initial start up and when the ecu starts to fire etc - as this will help me figure out what is going on.

As per above, once running it runs fine and revs to 7000 rpm no worries.

The ecu will start to calculate RPM from the crank sensor when the sync pulse arrives this then tells the ECU where in the cycle the engine is and how far to a firing event. Couple of things to look for. Low voltage on crank. Too much or not enough crank enrichment. Noise from the starter getting on to the trigger wires.