How do I identify my link

Glen Bublitz

Fist question is how do I identify my link? I have removed it from the car to have look and found that it doesn't have serial connection, on the end it states that it is for Toyota 4AGE 20 valve, which is correct. It has a loom plug at one end, a multi pin plug at the other and has one vacuum line coming off it. Second question, how do I plug in to it to tune it? Cheers Glen B

OK, it is most likely an LEM (rectange box) or LinkPlus G1 (squareish box).  Very unusual to use a LinkPlus on a 4AGE.  Chances are that it is an LEM.  You will have to lift the lid off it and check what verion it is.  Dont touch anything in there in case you static damage it.  If it has V4 or V5 on the stickers inside then it can be tuned with a laptop or tuning module if it has V1, V2 or V3 then it will be tuning module only.  To do laptop tuning you will need to purchase a SerialLink if your laptop has a serial port or a ComLink if your laptop has USB only.   All those ECU's were compatible with the hand held tuning module.  Tuning modules can be purchased new but it is far cheaper to do laptop tuning option...

• 1 month later...

LEM V3 is probably about 10 years old, so no it wont support VVT control...  It can do switched cam control like MIVEC and VTEC, but not continuously VVT control.  I would think that for any engine with VVT control you should use a more advanced ECU than the LEM V3...

• 1 year later...

Yes it will do 4AGE 20V VVT as it that is only on and off control, The other type is VVT-i which is infinatly variable, or closed loop cam timing, which the old ones did do. I had a Linkplus V10 on my old 4AGE 20V turbo, which i sold with the engine when I sold it.