Toyota Altezza Throttle body issue

Brendon001

Ok, so set all values to 0 as per daves tables etc, turned off the e  throttle so that was not in use.turned off idle control as well. Started car, straight to 3000rpm and then again bounces between 2800 and 3200rpm... So i took the intake off the throttle body, Withe engine off the butterfly is shut. Turned car on and whilst bouncing between 2800 and 3200 rpm i checked it again, still fully shut. I manually pushed it open a few mms and it revved higher. So it seems as tho even with all controls off and butterfly fully shut, it must have a massive leak, yet still maintaning between -18 and -20 vaccum??. Im going to take the plenum off and use sealant everywhere and then try again tomorrow. Hopefully a step in the right direction. Dave is this the main idle igntiion table you were wanting? 

Thanks

Brendon

Link ecu setup 2.png

Okay great well you've ruled out the ethrottle causing the issue then.

How about your brake booster line at the back of the manifold, try take the line off close the hole with your finger or some tape etc?

Or check the line to the PCV valve in between the runners for  cyl 2 and 3. These are the only two things with a big enough opening to give a really big intake leak if it's not the TB.

Failing that, the factory intake manifold is in 3 parts.

an aluminium bit that bolts to the head. A rubber spacer. then the main section.

I would take all 3 of these off, clean them up and refit. There arent gaskets on some of those parts but they mount up against the rubber bit so doesnt matter.

Failing that you might need a new TB if there's maybe a leak in the shaft bearings or something like that depending on how agressively it was cleaned out.

Where abouts are you based?

Edited by Davidv

Based in mt roskill, auckland, new zealand.  I pulled the engine cover off and removed main breather hose with engine running, again increased with hole open and then blocked with thumb,  dropped back to high bouncy idle of 3000rpm or so. Currently pulling it apart again. In terms of how aggressively I cleaned the tb, I merely sprayed degreser inside and then scubbed the walls witj toothbrush etc.  And for plenum only pulled off main plenum that mounts to the rubber section, so thats the only seal I have technically broken, but like you said, I checked before reinstalling and it showed it didnt need a gasket in my engine manual. 

Hi dave, pulled plenum off tonight and noticed a small line between the outside of the rubber and the plenum sections on runners two and tgree like it had a tiny leak, so I put sealant around all 4 runner holes, reinstalled the plenum and throttle body, refit all vac lines and it started perfect :D let it warm up on its own and it dropped down to 1100rpm and idled perfevt like it used to. So I believe the problem has been solved! ::D still cannot believe that it was a leak as all info pointed to a settings probelm until I tried the idle off and ethrottle off tonight which resulted in no change. So thanks to you guys I have learnt a lot about the software and my setup. Can never be too careful I guess.. as I followrd the toyota manual to a t and it specifically said no gasket was required on that particular part due to rubber interface.. so there ya go :) 

Will still be taking car to tuner on weekend to get cold start sorted a bit better, and also getting launch control setup as well,  have jist obtained an expansion cable to add more inputs and outputs

:) 

Will be sure to ask for help if I get stuck in the future! 

Brendon

good work :)

When you pull something apart, put it back together again and it doesn't run right, it's usually a physical problem.  Messing with the ECU is the very last step you'd take when it was running perfectly before pulling it apart