Wiring Soild State Relays

Ducie54

• 3 years later...

I know this has been covered more than enough times and I read through almost all posts and threads about PWM, SSR Relays and wiring but I cant resolve this issue.

I have my Spal fan wired to a standard relay that is controlled by AC Fan in G4X using Inj 8 (default settings). I had recently ordered a SSR 40A DC to DC relay pictured below and re-wired the fan. I had initially connected fan +ve direct to battery and fan -ve to terminal #2. I then connect the fan as pictured in the diagram and it stays ON the entire time. I double checked the wiring on the relay and it matches the picture which others here have used with success.  When I run manual PWM ON test, I can see the led on relay blinking as expected. Only after removing fan negative from SSR or +ve from battery would turn off the fan even when the led on SSR is off and ignition is off. Forgive my ignorance, I just recently started playing with SSR relays with the goal to run the rad fan at different speeds. I know I have made a mistake here somewhere but cant figure out what.

I then switched fan +ve to a regular relay that would only turn on the fan when ignition is ON. This also results in same behavior with fan always ON but now with Ignition turned ON.

image.png.ad93b6858612e8cd5a81c23175cf50c2.png

Relay used:

SSR.thumb.jpg.3cc661952b828993d9b6e4b724d2952e.jpg

Is your relay a Fotek or an unbranded clone like pictured?  On the genuine Fotek relays the +/- on terminal 1/2 are the opposite of what that label shows (2 is still on the right but it is the negative), so it is possibly mislabeled?

9SMRXNN.png   

17 hours ago, Amrit Sidhu said:

Is there any difference if I wire the SSR as following assuming the terminals and polarity are correct on the SSR:

No, the load can be on either side, it just needs some current passing through it.