Knock control

Highlift

Hi, I am tuning a mates Subaru WRX soon & will be using the closed loop knock control. It will be running on pump gas & he only has poor quality fuel available where he lives so the knock control will likely be called on to be used.

I have read the help files & reckon I have a good handle on how to set it up.

Question is how well can the G4plus knock control be trusted??

The knock control is good as long as it is set up correctly.  But you will still need to tune the vehicle first with out it so you can establish what the noise characteristics of the motor are. 

Then set up the knock control based off the knock sensor levels that you see while doing the initial tuning.

Yeah, that was the approach I had in mind, I'v set up knock control on other platforms.

Its a stock engine & as we know they are fragile (no disrespect to Subs, I think they are cool cars), so I just want to know that the G4plus knock control can be counted on considering the junk fuel he is forced to use.

Make sure you have 5.6.4 firmware in the ECU as there have been fixes to the knock control.

I would advise of course going for a conservative tune as knock control will only start after its had knock of some form.