Link G4+ Tablet view

Androo007

Hi All,

I've just had the Link G4+ p&p option installed on my 1994 Mr2 (non OBD) and have searched around for ages about displaying on a tablet but not been able to find any definitive answers!

The plan would be to have a digital interface to give realtime info using the the views available. I've downloaded the latest PCLink software but a self proclaimed idiot with software I'm struggling to....

a) Make a nice view (IAT, Boost, EGT, AFR the most important)

b ) work out if it's actually possible to mount in the car instead of a double DIN for display.

I've also concluded that a tablet micro USB can only do data OR charge - is that correct?

Thanks chaps!

Hello no problem using a tablet at all are you able to get it to connect to the tablet you have now ? do you need help ? once connected you can make your own page up to suit your viewing needs by right clicking just to the right of the mixture map it will then say new page click yes rename to suit ( dash )you will then have a blank page  right click any where on the page  click on new view add gauges and then properties as needed to create our screen  save as a new layout  done 

Yes, I believe you are correct, most tablets that have a single USB can only charge or communicate. A tablet with two usb ports would be ideal.

It will take some playing around to setup the display as you like it. Often this can be very painful to do on the tablet itself.

The tablet will want to running 'proper' windows and not a crippled mobile version of windows.

Scott

After doing a bit of research recently into running a tablet as the primary dash for my car here's some thoughts...

Hardware:

For the older Windows tablets using Micro usb you should be wary of any claims of being able to charge and have a device connected, a lot of descriptions of the adapter cables are wrong as it totally depends on the tablet, so make sure you do your research first, if in doubt it likely doesn't support both at same time.

However I believe the new tablets which support USB C may be better in this regard, again do your research first.

Performance of PcLink on lower speced windows tablets (1.3ghz quad cpu, 1gig ram etc) is actually very good, PcLink will be very slow as the software initially connects to the ecu, and the display wont respond for a good 10 seconds, but once it syncs up it works perfectly. 

Here's my 8 Inch acer tablet with Windows 10 and PcLink with different layouts

Because I could not charge and display data at same time I just ran it on battery, it lasted for a good 5-6 hours which was impressive.

To me there's no point in having a tablet that can't charge and display so I replaced the above with a Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 (2 usb ports, 10 inch) with Windows 10 and PcLink

This charges and runs at the same time which is perfect.

Setup:

Setting up PcLink for the tablets is a bit of a pain as PcLink doesn't support touch very well.

The easiest way is to have another pc with PcLink running and do the setup on that then transfer the layout files across.

Your best to set the resolution of the display on your laptop to match the tablet as otherwise positioning of elements is very hit and miss (especially with high res displays) the ThinkPad I brought has a pen which made resizing and moving elements actually doable on the tablet.

Note there is an issue with PcLink and some tablets (My acer one doesn't have this issue) where they throw a 
"Access violation at address 00000000 in module 'PCLink.exe'. Read pf address 0000000." same as this thread
 http://forums.linkecu.com/index.php?/topic/6144-access-violation-at-address-00000000-in-module-pclinkexe-read-pf-address-0000000/

It appears to be to do with the 3d chart display and it's very frustrating as PcLink is unrunnable as it triggers the error when ever you open PcLink and when it occurs it stops PcLink from working correctly. 

You can work around this by running PcLink on a normal pc, getting rid of the default layout with a simpler one then copying the entire folder "C:\Link G4\PCLink G4+" directly to your tablet (this means the software wont try and load the default link layouts which cause the crash). Once you have done this then you can just import layout files as normal (just make sure you use non 3d gauges). Hopefully they fix this at some point (even if it's just disabling 3d charts rather then crashing).

As an aside PcLink is inconsistent with how it handles limits on displays, i.e analogue vs digital are configured in different sections of the app, Once you realise this then configuring it's not to hard, however I still haven't found a way yet to get rid of the decimal point on the km/h. 

PcLink has options for automatically going full screen, and auto connecting which are easily turned on through the menu.

Then in windows I have set it as a start up app so it opens automatically, and have changed the user account to go straight to desktop rather the sign in screen (this is a bit more work involving regedit, guides can be found online for both).

Realworld Performance:
You can see me using my 8 inch tablet in a race here (fully on battery).

It performed flawlessly, however as you can see in the video glare is an issue with these tablets (visibility was ok from the drivers seat but could be better), so if using as your main dash then a hood/cover is something you want to look into fitting.

Note there is an issue with PcLink and some tablets (My acer one doesn't have this issue) where they throw a 
"Access violation at address 00000000 in module 'PCLink.exe'. Read pf address 0000000." same as this thread
 http://forums.linkecu.com/index.php?/topic/6144-access-violation-at-address-00000000-in-module-pclinkexe-read-pf-address-0000000/

It appears to be to do with the 3d chart display and it's very frustrating as PcLink is unrunnable as it triggers the error when ever you open PcLink and when it occurs it stops PcLink from working correctly. 

On laptops we have found this issue to be related to running older versions of OpenGL, and often an update of the video drivers will update this.  Can you try and update your drivers using files from the manufacturer? If this doesn't help can you tell us the exact model of your thinkpad and also your driver information?  If you run dxdiag.exe there is an option to save all information, if you can email it to us that would be appreciated.

Scott.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...