weird ignition issue, only running on 5cylinder

matt gray

Hi Guys

Car - Toyota Supra JZA80 2jzgte

ECU - Supralink plugin g4+

factory coils and igniter

On my warm down lap (superlap hampton downs 4-12-16) the car randomly began to miss. Have found no.6 coil isnt sparking, move the coils around and still no spark on 6. Have replaced the igniter and still no spark. All wiring continuity and resistance measures fine. What signal should i be measuring at the igniter plug from the ecu? Im thinking it may be an issue with the ecu itself 

You cant easily measure the ignition output from the ecu unless you have a scope since its only a very short "pulse".  The ecu has an ignition test function so if it were me I would use that to eliminate as much of the other hardware as I could before suspecting the ecu.  It would be very unlikely to be something wrong with the ecu.  The steps you have taken already with swapping coils etc is a good start, the next test I would do is swap the ignition output wires 1 & 6 at the ecu connector (B57 & B52) then do the ignition test again and see if the fault now moves to 1 or stays at 6.  If #1 then no longer sparks it indicates an ecu problem, if the fault stays with #6 then you have a hardware/wiring issue.

You cant easily measure the ignition output from the ecu unless you have a scope since its only a very short "pulse".  The ecu has an ignition test function so if it were me I would use that to eliminate as much of the other hardware as I could before suspecting the ecu.  It would be very unlikely to be something wrong with the ecu.  The steps you have taken already with swapping coils etc is a good start, the next test I would do is swap the ignition output wires 1 & 6 at the ecu connector (B57 & B52) then do the ignition test again and see if the fault now moves to 1 or stays at 6.  If #1 then no longer sparks it indicates an ecu problem, if the fault stays with #6 then you have a hardware/wiring issue.

Thanks Adam should have said have done the ignition test 1 - 5 were clicking and working fine and 6 nothing. But will try your suggestion of swapping out puts at ECU.