Traction Control Trigger Wheel number of teeth?

Montecarlo

Dear Link Experts

I have a Fury G4+ on a car running last year and I am currently installing traction control using Hall Sensors (Vauxhall Astra Bosch Crank sensors). The car is vintage so no trigger wheels exist and OE parts to swap in are not available. I can create 16 tooth steel trigger wheels for the front in steel with a 6 cm diameter and I currently have fitted ABS sensor rings to the outer rear CV joints. These have 53 low profile teeth and I need to understand if they can provide a suitable signal for the Fury Digital inputs to process and whether the software can be configured for variations in tooth counts?

What is the sensible maximum and minimum tooth counts for these trigger wheels and are there other important minimum/ maximum dimensions? This is so I can get the right spec created by CNC if the 53 tooth rings are not viable?

Thank you

Eric   

What you need to remember is that other than the Thunder the digital inputs are limited to 500hz. Thunder can take something over 6000hz

Do some math where you figure out tire revolutions pr second at your maximum speed and you will find you answer. 

Edited by Steve

Steve

Thank you I can see that if I take 500HZ / 12 teeth I get 41.66 wheel Rev Second and by using this on line calculator http://www.csgnetwork.com/tirerevforcecalc.html for my wheel and tyre size (15 Inch +3 Inches) at 150MPH I get 40.016 Wheel Rev Second. This confirms using ABS rings will not work and that using 16 teeth will exceed the ECU limits above 117 MPH.

What happens when this ECU limit is exceeded? Does it do permanent damage? Does it throw a fault light and shut down traction control until the fault light is cleared? Does it stop working until the speed is lower?     

I need to understand the implications as I will probably have to have the front trigger rings re-made to 12 teeth and find a way to fit the Trigger Wheels 12 tooth rings to the rear CV joint assembly. I am assuming that I want the highest number that will work for resolution/ accuracy?

Thanks

Eric 

All is not lost thought.

You can run a unit like this one

https://shop.vems.hu/catalog/hall-p-162.html

That will chop down the trigger events to something more managable

or this

http://www.centrodyne.com/en/products/vss-divider

or this

http://www.racingsolutions.com/products/motec-dmc-d-converter-wheel-speed.html

There are plenty options out there...

I suspect it will either stop reading higher or the signal goes erratic. Dont know though. Sure Simon will chime in on this one.

Yep, looks like according to the "Digital Input Allocation Chart" in your G4+ manual, digital 1-8 are 500hz.  If you upgrade your ECU, 11-16 inputs (like on the XTreme) support 6500hz, which should be good to 6500 / 53 * 3.7485 = 459MPH without modifying your source signal from the 53t rings you've already got fit.  Just yet another option to consider :-)

Hi Simon

Thank you for confirming 12 teeth as the way to go. If I did go too high on the frequency and the speed reading drops back to 0 will it resume with no further action by the driver when the speed drops to the right frequency level? I want to understand the safety implications if any even though I am designing this to avoid issues.

Thank you

Eric