Link G4 Storm - LS1 - wideband options + other questions

vladsoilerofcarpets

I've had an E36 with a 5.7 LS1 in it for about a month now (terrific fun, I'm not dead yet either!)

Got a few questions pertaining to the management- it runs a Link G4 Storm. It looks like it was setup by someone who possibly had an inkling of what they were doing, but... at the same time, it wasn't very well done.

Niggles are as follows...

1) no Lamdas or wideband fitted. I'd like to fit a wideband setup- what's recommended for an LS1?

2) the tacho, when connected, was jumping all over the show. I'd like to think this was because I was trailing the wire right over the HT leads at the time, causing it to bounce about... I'll try again in the morning and we'll see what the deal is. Unless you can't use a stock E36 tacho wire with a Link G4 Storm..? Any light to be shed on this would be great.

3) the coolant temp sensor refuses to read above 52ºC... guessing the sensor is goosed, or incorrectly specified?

Thanks in advance.

1) no Lamdas or wideband fitted. I'd like to fit a wideband setup- what's recommended for an LS1?

Unfortunately the G4 cant use CAN based lambda's.  My suggestion is one of the AEM X-series units as they seem most reliable in my experience.  I have never had good experiences with Innovate so my opinion is to avoid those.  If you want to only use 1 lambda then you will get best results if its placed in a balance pipe somewhere close to the collectors.

2) the tacho, when connected, was jumping all over the show. I'd like to think this was because I was trailing the wire right over the HT leads at the time, causing it to bounce about... I'll try again in the morning and we'll see what the deal is. Unless you can't use a stock E36 tacho wire with a Link G4 Storm..? Any light to be shed on this would be great.

I just took a look at the schematics for our E36 plugin ECU and there is no special circuit on the tacho output - so it should work ok for you with the standard Storm tacho signal.

3) the coolant temp sensor refuses to read above 52ºC... guessing the sensor is goosed, or incorrectly specified?

This could possibly be your analog fault settings.  The standard BMW sensor uses the "Bosch NTC" calibration.  If you unplug sensor and short the two wires together what does your temp read?

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for an AEM. I did see that Link do recommend an Innovate LC1, but I'll do some more asking about.

OK sweet, I'll try again with the wire run slightly better..! On that note, how easy is it to add wires into the ECU plug? I've stolen the ISC Stepper wires for now- as it's not connected- but I'd rather use Aux 1-4, not stealing a 5-8 connection from the currently defunct Stepper.

The temp sensor isn't a BMW one. It's down as the Bosch one with all the numbers on the software. I'll try bridging the wires and see what happens.

On that note, how easy is it to add wires into the ECU plug? I've stolen the ISC Stepper wires for now- as it's not connected- but I'd rather use Aux 1-4, not stealing a 5-8 connection from the currently defunct Stepper.

Easy.  You need to push in the white plastic lock on the side of the connector, it should push in about 3mm.  wires/terminals will then pull out of the wire side of the plug quite easily.  Sometimes you will also need to give the terminal a bit of a push with a paperclip or something.  You can buy new terminals from ebay, mouser or a link dealer.

harness_connector_push_to_open.jpg

Thank you Adam. I'll get searching!

And as for wiring in the wideband... similar sort of principle? I've done some reading and I'm aware I'll need a controller unit of some sort. I'm just terrible with the electrics side of things, I'm fine with mechanical..! First standalone ECU I've ever had!

Right... panic over... just needed to reinsert every damn pin so they were located properly, thanks Ducie... *idiot alert*

It works! Praise be Jesus!! Now I just need to work out how to get the factory coolant temp gauge working... can't see a programmable feature in the Aux Outputs, am I missing something or does this need to be done a different way?? Same goes for alternator voltage...

Now I just need to work out how to get the factory coolant temp gauge working... can't see a programmable feature in the Aux Outputs, am I missing something or does this need to be done a different way?? Same goes for alternator voltage...

The temp gauge in this car is completely independent of the ecu so it seems you have a bit more digging to do.  Same goes for the alternator. 

The temp gauge in this car is completely independent of the ecu so it seems you have a bit more digging to do.  Same goes for the alternator. 

Yep, I've got the input wires worked out on the X20 connector, so I just need to work out how to get an output from the ECU. Does the Link G4 have capacity for a coolant temp output?