150 psi fuel sensor wiring

efi265

hi guys I cleared the event log files history  to see if these errors go

my fuel has now as below gone to 5v now and reads pressure reading has maxed out

any ideas

I checked the sensor as above fuel was working fine but I started to get errors now this

I have attached my last log before fuel senor issue has other volt errors may help thanks

Ross

cheers

Capture.JPG

Capture 2.JPG

Log 24-06-17 3;19;04 pm.llg

Edited by efi265
wanted to be notified of replys

You have a 5V supply error showing that will generally indicate the 5V out is shorted to ground or a voltage greater than 5V (ie 12V short)

It could be the pressure sensor is faulty and internally shorting. (we have seen this before)

Ok checked my sensor wiring harness and have 5v when earthed power and earth and also power and signal is this correct  ..

Huh? that is a very confusing statement (or maybe I'm just up too late again)...   Can you try saying that a bit slower this time...

Sorry I have tested  my fuel sensor wiring harness at the sensor and I get 5v at sensor power to sensor earth and 5v when I connect sensor power to sensor signal as I have been getting  an volt errors since fitment of sensor I would like to make sure this is correct my fuel sensor went good but I started getting an volt errors on all my an1-4 volts then my fuel sensor  errored at 5v now nothing .guess it's stuffed just don't wana fit another sensor and it fails again

Thanks

Hey Ross - I had trouble with  wiring the pins in the plug for my fuel pressure sensor as well . On mine two pins were touching giving all sorts of voltage errors and it also made other sensors read wrong also . I think the 5v was touching the ground . Double check the plug pins .

• 5 years later...

Yep. The 5v isn't really a power supply, its a reference voltage.

You use sensor 5v and sensor grounds as a clean reference so the ECU can utlize a lookup table to convert any voltage between those points to a known value, eg; temp, pressure, throttle position, etc since 5v will always be 5v regardless of battery condition or alternator charge.

1 minute ago, DerekAE86 said:

Yep. The 5v isn't really a power supply, its a reference voltage.

You use sensor 5v and sensor grounds as a clean reference so the ECU can utlize a lookup table to convert any voltage between those points to a known value, eg; temp, pressure, throttle position, etc since 5v will always be 5v regardless of battery condition or alternator charge.

Perfect thanks, and I need to use a sensor ground, not just any ground?

Yeah any analog sensor should be using the sensor ground pin for the same reasons. It'll always be a clean 0v signal the ECU can reference off.
It doesn't matter if it's shared with other sensors, just don't share it with other functions like coil pack grounds or the Common pin on a idle motor etc.

Using any ground will "work" but you're just leaving yourself open for interference and inaccurate readings.

• 2 weeks later...

can you share a 5v signal wire off of the expansion loom? for example, id like to wire my fuel pressure and oil pressure sensors to my expansion loom, but i am already using an volt 5 for my wideband.  is there any other options i can use for fuel pressure or oil pressure? obviously using an volt 4 for one of them.

those are my only other gauges. thanks ! 

Yes as the 5v is a reference voltage you can split that to as many sensors as you require.

As far as inputs on your G4X E36 plug in ecu - you have a spare analog input on the MAF (AN Volt 6) you can use for one of the sensor inputs (pin 41).  Alternatively you can feed the wideband in via CAN (if it is a CAN capable wideband) and use the expansion AN volts as the inputs.  A third option would be to rewire the coolant or air temp sensors to use Temp 3 or Temp 4 on the expansion freeing up either AN Temp1 or AN Temp 2.  AN Temp 1 and 2 can be used as analog inputs by disabling their pull-up resistors in the software.