Motec PDM to Fury CAN

DSORDA

Hey guys,

Going to be running a Motec PDM15 in my car and toying with the idea of a CAN keypad for the PDM. I would be looking to use the keypad for activation of the usual things, like hi/low boost, antilag etc, and curious how I would configure the system arming in my Fury ecu, since the keypad is over CAN.

Antilag for example.. is it simply a case of setting the system arming to say DI4, and the respective key on the keypad to CAN DI4? Or can't these funtions be armed over the CAN network?

Cheers

Ian

You should be able to get most of this to work although the keypad "DI" inputs will not be as straight forward as you might imagine.  I will show an example below.  Note I havent even looked up how the keypad sends out keypresses but I assume they are sent as bits and they are "latched" in the software/firmware (if they arent latched at the Motec end we might be in trouble...)

In this example I show two "keys" set up as CAN Dig 1 and CAN DIG2.  I want to use Key 1 (CAN DIG 1) to enable antilag (but we cant assign CAN DIG 1 to antilag!), so we have to use a virtual aux, CAN DIG 1 turns the virtual aux on, then you use the virtual aux to enable anti-lag.  Clear as mud... 

The same kind of logic will have to be applied to auxiliaries that you want the PDM to control.  For instance if we want the PDM to control the fuel pump - then you will need to assign either an Aux or virtual aux to fuel pump, then you can send the "status" of that aux/VA out over CAN.

VvEWRtA.png

Edited by Adamw

Thanks for the input Adam, had guessed after a quick play in PClink that I couldn't directly assign a "CAN DI" and that a Virtual Aux my be required. 

I can still happily hardwire Aux outputs to the PDM to trigger things like the fuel pumps, fan etc, it was more about activating stuff through the keypad if I were to get one. I'll have a better look into the PDM software to see how the keypresses are configured.

Cheers

• 2 months later...

There are 8 virtual auxes available in the most recent firmware.  If your map hasnt been loaded into an ECU with the most recent firmware then you will only see 3.  For many functions you wont even need a virtual aux as you can assign them direct to a CAN DI. (boost, and launch for example wont need a VA).

Appologies Adam, I only mentioned it as that was the way we discussed it would be configured in post #2. However, I see not all funtions can be selected over CAN, such as the antilag. Any reason for this?

You mentioned over in the other topic on CAN keypads that we may be in trouble with the Motec Keypresses not transmitting a latched signal? How can we get around this, if it is indeed the case?

16 hours ago, DSORDA said:

You mentioned over in the other topic on CAN keypads that we may be in trouble with the Motec Keypresses not transmitting a latched signal? How can we get around this, if it is indeed the case?

I just had time to have a closer look at this and do some testing today.  I havent been able to get a reliable latching or toggle type logic for a momentary CAN DI working with the existing tools in G4+ PCLink.  This really needs some new functionality added to the firmware to achieve these types of inputs direct from a Motec CAN keypad.

However, since you have a PDM, it seems we can use the PDM to do this logic for us.  I just had a brief play with the PDM software and I could assign a keypad key press to toggle on/off a custom channel, then I could add that channel to a "CAN output". The ECU would then receive a latched CAN DI signal from the PDM rather than a momentary.  Also the PDM will also be able to take care of the LED status lamps too.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello every one! 

Our company S-MOTORSPORT  is engaged in assembling motorsport wiring for sports cars in Russia.  At the moment we are assembling three cars for drift. 

We really like your products so we use control units LINK Fury, thunder....   But we also use MOTEC products for assembly, such as  PDM and Keypad.  So with each new project we are faced with problems of compatibility  CAN  :wacko:

For Tech Support : 

Is it possible to upgrade the software to achieve full compatibility of these devices? 
I now have a completely assembled system (Link fury+MotecPDM15+MoteckeyPad15) on my desk and all this can be removed to test ... 
I could give you access to your computer and you could live to test everything and then add all these solutions to the new software.
 Is it interesting for you ?

6 hours ago, streetenergy said:

Is it possible to upgrade the software to achieve full compatibility of these devices?

If you are using a Motec pdm along with a keypad then as far as I can see you already have full compatibility as the pdm handles most of the keypad logic such as flip flops, multi stage presses etc. 

If you give us a list of what you want to configure I will be happy to take a look and setup some examples. 

Hi,

Sorry for stealing the topic, but my post is kinda of some nature than this one. I just purchased Ecumaster PMU / PDM and would like to control it via CAN from my Vipec i88 (Link G4+ software).  What are the basic settings in ECU, for example, controlling the fuel pump / fan / etc. stuff by PMU  that are now connected straight from AUX outputs?  Step by step instructions please..:)

On 30.12.2017 at 5:29 PM, Adamw said:

If you are using a Motec pdm along with a keypad then as far as I can see you already have full compatibility as the pdm handles most of the keypad logic such as flip flops, multi stage presses etc. 

If you give us a list of what you want to configure I will be happy to take a look and setup some examples. 

Hi Adam

My name is Alex. 

Returning to our question, I would like to say the following: we conducted some tests and realized communication via means of CAN bus between control units

Motec PDM 15 , Motec key pad 15 , Motec c127 dash , link Fury  and RaceGrade TC8.  We programmed the CAN bus in the LINK ECU to receive output status messages of CAN DI#1

as you suggested in your example.... So....  If canbus Receive Motec E888 is active, the status massages of CAN DI#1 is not accepted.... :unsure:  By Receive Motec E888 accepted massages from RAceGrade TC8.....  so.. When I turn off reception from this channel, reception of status messages of CAN DI#1 from Motec PDM id accepted .... 

How can this situation be changed?
If you send me your email, then I'll send you files from the Motek and LINK eku for analysis .... so we can give you access by means of the program TeamViewer 

Write to me at WhatsApp at +79881680212 for faster communication