New coil problems

Ken Dunkley

So i had a strange thing happen tonight after changing my coil .  I run a msd streetfire ignition box through a dizzy with an old oil filled coil . It ran very well just thought id upgrade the coil to an msd non oil filled high output coil . Straight forward swap making sure pos and neg wires are correct and good to go - i thought . It just barely started - loaded up and stopped . Connected my laptop to the ecu and it would not stay online as i tried to start the engine . If it did start it over fueled to hell and stopped . Put the old coil back on and boom - all good . I have a atom g4+ in a center console and the msd ignition box is also in the console .  The coil is in the engine bay at the front of the engine . I was advised to run the whole dwell table at 3 ms and up till the coil change starting and running has been excellent . Any ideas why the ecu would keep disconnecting from the laptop and not run properly when trying the new coil ?

So turns out its not a coil problem -its a trigger error . I have a VR crank angle sensor on a 60-2 wheel - Sensor is a denso oem type from NZEFI as is the trigger wheel . The engine has been running fine with no trigger errors . Over the last few runs it developed a slight miss and when i hooked the lap top up it showed -REV LIMIT ACTIVATED - I didnt think much of it until this weekend . Drove around the block logging and noticed trigger 1 errors counting up and odd rev spikes over 6000 even though i was just tooling around . Ive just changed the crank sensor with a new one . I did an ohms test on both trigger sensors and the wiring back to the ECU plug . All tested perfect . The trigger wheel is 6 months old . Maybe done 1000 km of driving on it and its clean . Test ran it and still showing trigger 1 errors counting up and missing etc . Any ideas ?

So did you only get trigger errors since changing to the new coil?  From memory you have an Atom with no triggerscope function, do you know anyone with a storm or higher ECU that you can borrow to do a triggerscope (your dealer may do this)?  Or maybe someone with a standalone oscilloscope?  Where abouts are you in the world?

I tried the new coil because the engine developed a small miss . I recall now though the - RPM LIMIT ACTIVATED warning showing on the laptop a couple of times before i changed the coil and i never checked why . I now suspect that it was the trigger errors . After trying the new coil and it not running i went back to the original and it ran fine for a couple of hours driving ( albeit with a small miss ) . This Week end just gone it wont run properly now . The engine will start - Just and run - Just . With trigger errors counting up the longer it runs . The ECU is a G4+ if that makes a difference . And no i dont know anyone with the ecus you mentioned . Do you suspect it could be the ECU ?

55 minutes ago, Ken Dunkley said:

And no i dont know anyone with the ecus you mentioned . Do you suspect it could be the ECU ?

No it is obviously the trigger so I want to see a trigger scope but If my memory serves me correctly you only have an atom which doesnt have a trigger scope.  Thats why I asked about borrowing one that has a trigger scope.  So where abouts are you?

Woody . The engine has been running fine for almost a year with no trigger errors . The fault has just developed over a short period of time ( a few hours running ) . I had not changed anything up till this week when I changed the crank sensor because I was getting trigger errors . The new sensor didn't fix the issue . Oh that's right I changed the coil because of slight missing . 

I reset the sensor gap to 1/2 a mm and ran the engine . Seems to run ok when cold and get worse when fully warm . At which point the trigger errors clock over ( getting over 100 in a minute of running ) Also tried trigger filtering on levels 1 - 2 -3 and 4 with no difference . 

• 2 weeks later...