IVts software

beemn

I have a R53 mini challenge cup car using the plug and play I series ecu. ..not sure if I88 or I44 or what but I can not get the laptop software to connect to the ecu. I'm having issues with my fuel pump and possible faults need to be cleared but just can not connect to the ecu..any ideas as to what to try.? I have deleted it and re down loaded it but no go...

9 hours ago, Adamw said:

For an i series you should be using iVTS, not VTS.  Can you confirm that you are using iVTS.  Do you get any error messages or any clues?

Sorry, yes ivts. (Changed the tittle)

All it does is say "searching" in the top right hand corner when connected..it has worked in the past...not all that clued up with the electrical side of the car

Thanks for your help Adam...So no go with the g4 pclink, something about drivers are not compatible?..Shot up the road to BMWorkshop to give them the symptoms of no fuel pump and water temp going to the red when ignition is on. He said it's controlled by the dme which is now the vipec which sounds like it is the Centre of the issues..I'm not even sure I can run a standard ecu for the next race meeting because the car is tuned for end,  not that I have the standard ecu

I checked with one of those light probe things and looks like it doesn't have power some how. How did the laptop register the USB when I unplugged re plugged it it?. I will have to try and find where it gets power from...will do a bit of research and try and find what to check and where

32 minutes ago, beemn said:

How did the laptop register the USB when I unplugged re plugged it it?

The PC can see the USB chip in the ECU but it cant communicate until it is powered up.

To help with troubleshooting, this is a basic overview of how the power circuit works in that car, start at number 1 and report back which bit is missing:

1. Whenever the ignition switch is on you should get a +12V "key on" signal on pin 118.
  2. Whenever pin 118 is live, the ECU sends a ground out of pin 97.  This grounds the main DME relay coil.
  3. The DME relay then engages and connects the main +12V supply to pin 120, ecu then powers up.

19 hours ago, Adamw said:

The PC can see the USB chip in the ECU but it cant communicate until it is powered up.

To help with troubleshooting, this is a basic overview of how the power circuit works in that car, start at number 1 and report back which bit is missing:

1. Whenever the ignition switch is on you should get a +12V "key on" signal on pin 118.
  2. Whenever pin 118 is live, the ECU sends a ground out of pin 97.  This grounds the main DME relay coil.
  3. The DME relay then engages and connects the main +12V supply to pin 120, ecu then powers up.

1) it has power to 118

Not sure how to test 2 and 3..do I connect 118 with 97?..

No power when 97 and 118 are connected

5 minutes ago, beemn said:

97 and ground works

If you were testing between 97 & ground then that is wrong.

To test the ground output out of pin 97 you would want to connect your test light/multimeter like so:

One probe to pin 97, the other to battery +ve.  The lamp should glow or the multimeter should show 12V when you turn ignition on.

Ok, I'm sorry to say this suggests its likely some failed hardware on the bottom board then.  Can you submit the service request form here: http://www.linkecu.com/contact/ecu-service-requests/  and get it back to us for inspection.  For the fault description on the form you can just link to this thread. 

Managed to get a spare original mini challenge DME from BMW NZ that they had laying about (pays to know some people) and plugged it in, fuel pump primed and temp gauge went back to normal..so I'm somewhat pleased it was a fault with the Vi-pec and I don't need to hunt for other issues. Ecu should arrive this morning to Link for testing

Plugged in the repaired ecu today, everything's back to normal with the ignition on....but not sure if it's normal because I can't quite remember, the EML light comes on while cranking..ok also the car no longer cranks for long, sounds like it comes to a jaming halt, so plug the laptop in to see if something needs to be cleared, still won't start or crank normally, pluggd in the mini challenge ecu, car starts fine (cant use it tho because e85 etc)