Windows tablet power from USB?

Adzn3k

Will the ECU USB output enough ampage to charge the tablet while in use?

A standard USB 2 port outputs 500ma and a USB 3 outputs 900ma, I would imagine the tablet to need about 1.2amps+ in order to charge it while the screen is on or the tablet is being used

9 hours ago, lysaer said:

Will the ECU USB output enough ampage to charge the tablet while in use?

A standard USB 2 port outputs 500ma and a USB 3 outputs 900ma, I would imagine the tablet to need about 1.2amps+ in order to charge it while the screen is on or the tablet is being used

The ECU is not a charger (or a USB host), it is a usb "device" just like a USB mouse or flash drive - do either of those charge your tablet when you plug them in?

Bought one of the Noel Leeming tablets, on special for NZ$199 until Tuesday.  Haven't had a chance to play with it much yet, but looks pretty good, and that price is hard to beat.  Will need to find a 12v to 5v converter to plug in to the DC power.  Not sure how I'm going to mount it yet.

Tablet from Noel Leemings works brilliantly and having 2 USB ports made it so much easier designing my dash layout with a full size keyboard and mouse connected, plus being charged via the DC Port.

IMG_20180402_105834.jpg

looking good Greg. wish I bit the bullet and got one of those from NL when on sale last weekend!

can you alter the VE tables? and also activate / deactivate quick tune using just the touchscreen? how do you input numbers? or is that keyboard requirement?

thanks
marc

I'm a complete novice, so learning as I go.  Its the full version of PC link, so you can do everything.  The tablet though is too slow for doing anything much more than displaying the dash.  I'd want a keyboard and mouse if I was to even try to use it for anything more than a dash.  I was thinking of getting a bluetooth keyboard etc to use with it, but don't see the point.  If you want to tune, a laptop has the power to do the job properly.

If someone is still looking for a Windows Tablet that has confirmed OTG working:

I'm using a Jumper EZpad mini 4, which is working pretty good in my R34 GTT since last summer.

Mounted it on my dashboard above the climate control using neodym magnets (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neodymium_magnet) that are installed behind the dash plastic and hook onto metal plates glued to the tablet.

So you can easily remove the tablet without the dash looking like crap :)

Charging at full display brightness is limited, but the battery is big enough that you can do 4+ hour drives without problems.

The tablet is fast enough to be used as a display and for limited additional functionality (like turn on logging etc.), but for proper tuning it is sadly too slow.

• 2 weeks later...

Not power related, but last night, I took control of my home computers (desktop and laptop) from my in car computer, via wifi hotspot on my fone.

And vice versa. Was testing to see if I had to use my laptop plugged straight into the ECU (or if I could just use my PIPO) to remote tune.

Haven't road tested, but looks promising.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2018 at 2:40 AM, MagicMike said:

Not power related, but last night, I took control of my home computers (desktop and laptop) from my in car computer, via wifi hotspot on my fone.

And vice versa. Was testing to see if I had to use my laptop plugged straight into the ECU (or if I could just use my PIPO) to remote tune.

Haven't road tested, but looks promising.

I did remote tuning with my tablet once.

Had my mapper remote in via LTE connection on my phone, shared with wifi to my tablet.

Worked okay on a german autobahn :-)

On 6/7/2018 at 6:05 PM, kalsonc said:

Tenny or Mot

Any update regarding the tablet running through a otg hub can charge and data at the same time? 

Still working good for me so far.

Tablet is mentioned in a post above.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Juzza34 said:

Gents,

Looking at setting this up in my 06 STI. Has anyone tried to use the Samsung Galaxy 8" Tablet. Im only interested in the display side not the charging.. 

This forum post is mostly about Windows tablets using our PC Link software.  PC Link will not work on Android.  For android take a look at this: 

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey, sorry to reply to an old thread. But am hoping to touch base on this topic, particularly with Tenny to see if the Pipo tablet worked out with the OTG hub for power and data connection at the same time? I'm looking to fit a similar tablet myself shortly and would like to know how his project had worked out!

Cheers

On 4/10/2018 at 9:41 PM, Mot said:

If someone is still looking for a Windows Tablet that has confirmed OTG working:

I'm using a Jumper EZpad mini 4, which is working pretty good in my R34 GTT since last summer.

Mounted it on my dashboard above the climate control using neodym magnets (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neodymium_employee monitoring) that are installed behind the dash plastic and hook onto metal plates glued to the tablet.

So you can easily remove the tablet without the dash looking like crap :)

Charging at full display brightness is limited, but the battery is big enough that you can do 4+ hour drives without problems.

The tablet is fast enough to be used as a display and for limited additional functionality (like turn on logging etc.), but for proper tuning it is sadly too slow.

I've had this tablet since 2017 and it really powered through college. It is very good and reliable and I am still using it today as a secondary device. The keyboard case isn't really that good, serviceable but not great.
The screen scratches way too easily.. I took it off the box and  it already had few scratches

• 2 months later...
On 4/7/2018 at 7:12 PM, GregM said:

Tablet from Noel Leemings works brilliantly and having 2 USB ports made it so much easier designing my dash layout with a full size keyboard and mouse connected, plus being charged via the DC Port.

IMG_20180402_105834.jpg

hey man do u know the brand of tablet it is as im in nz and looking for a tablet to suit my r34 skyline

• 6 months later...

Sorry for bringing up a old post but I want to get a tablet to fill the double din location on my car like Tenny but I'm struggling to find a tablet to suit. It's alot harder than I thought to find a 7-8inch windows tablet compare to when this post started 5 years ago.

I am also in NZ so any help and recommendations to tablet and where to buy from will be much appreciated.