Wideband - do I need to go CANBUS?

M1tch

Hi all,

I have an AEM X series wideband gauge with the latest Bosch 4.9LSU sensor, the gauge itself has output for 0-5v, RS232 and AEMnet (CANbus), I am just wondering how best to wire the wideband signal in, currently using a PnP harness for my car as I am using my Link Xtreme in a piggyback setup. Would I need to add the 0-5V signal to a pin in the current harness?

I notice that there is a LinkCAN accessory which seems to come with a sensor that I don't need - is there any way of simply buying the adaptor between the 2 which I am guessing plugs into the CANport on the ECU? Or can I simply add a connector onto the respective wires coming from the AEM gauge to then connect to the CANport on the ECU?

The AEM Xseries will out put CAN data on the AEMnet wires.  Just connect them to CAN Hi and CAN Lo and follow the setup instructions in the help file.  There is no need for an additional adaptor.

For connection to the ecu, you can either get a CAN F connector to connect the 2 can wires from the ecu to the CAN port next to the comms port, or you can just simply wire the 2 wires into CAN 2 which is on the B connector of the ecu.

2 hours ago, Brad Burnett said:

The AEM Xseries will out put CAN data on the AEMnet wires.  Just connect them to CAN Hi and CAN Lo and follow the setup instructions in the help file.  There is no need for an additional adaptor.

For connection to the ecu, you can either get a CAN F connector to connect the 2 can wires from the ecu to the CAN port next to the comms port, or you can just simply wire the 2 wires into CAN 2 which is on the B connector of the ecu.

Thanks for that, I noticed on the wiring diagram that there was the provision for a CAN input on connector B, will look to add in the wires from the gauge.

Do you know where I could get a CAN F connector from if I wanted to connect it up rather than hard wiring? Is there an off the shelf name for the type of connector? I guess I could put in a connector between the AEM wiring and the ECU though if wiring it directly into the B connector.

Guessing its this that I need - it can't be Link specific though can it?

http://dealers.linkecu.com/CANF_2

5 hours ago, Brad Burnett said:

Yes that is the connector.  I have them in stock.  

If you are only using the one CAN bus, I would use the H and L on connector B as it requires zero extra parts.  

Thanks for that, I have a pin kit A and B so I should be able to grab some of the pins from those to add a few more pins into the PnP harness - will look into how to fit the pins etc, still not sure if I will be running more than one CAN bus, but I guess I could wire it into the plug now and then change it out if needed later.