Link Monsoon Install

Chris1388

Hi all, 

I'm new on here and wanted to get some feedback concerning an install that I want to undertake on my car soon.

The vehicle in question is a 2004 Suzuki Ignis Sport, it runs a high compression 1500cc DOHC 16 valve  (M15A) engine with variable valve timing on the intake cam only. It is cable throttle operated, MAP based on the OEM ecu, and uses wasted spark ignition.  Currently, all wiring and ecu is 100% stock Suzuki.

I would like to install a Link Monsoon into this car as a piggy back type install alongside the OEM ecu. Basically I want the link to give me control to tune fuel, ignition and vvt and leave everything else to the OEM ecu. Has anyone on here had any experience installing a Link into a Suzuki of this era?

My plan is to leave the following solely on the OEM ecu:

Idle control, coolant temp, intake air temp, starter, air conditioning, abs, electronic power steering

I would then give the Link sole control of the following:

MAP through Link on board, Injectors, Ignition coils, Fuel Pump, VVT solenoid, radiator fan......I will wire an independent coolant and intake air temp senor to the Link

I would then share the following between both ECUS's

crank and cam triggers and TPS. I am however unsure if the TPS would be able to be shared by both ECU's, can someone shed some light on this?

Have I overlooked anything else that I should be considering?

Thanks,

Chris.

Hi Chris,  Your proposal sounds ok.  Piggyback installs where sensors have to be shared and authority is taken away from the OEM ecu can be challenging so be aware it is not for a beginner.  Especially DBW cars as they have so many safety strategies once you start taking away some of the feedback systems if they get unhappy they will just shut the throttle and not allow you to get aware.  Some of these challenges often need quite creative workarounds to make it all happy. 

We talked on webchat earlier about the pros/cons of the Kurofune Vs the Monsoon.  The main decider would be the type of crank/cam sensors.  If your engine has a reluctor for either sensor then the OEM ecu usually wont like sharing that with another "conventional" ecu trigger circuit.  The Kurofune has differential trigger inputs specifically designed for this purpose so that would be the recommended option if they are reluctors.  On the other hand, if they are both hall effect sensors then they can be shared successfully with one of our more conventional ECU's such as the Monsoon.  The Kurofune has a few other features that can help in piggyback installs such as analog outputs to simulate some of the sensors that you take away from the OEM ecu.  A good example is the O2 sensor - when the OEM ECU sees that its O2 sensor is not responding as it expects it will throw codes.

Adam, this car is cable throttle as I stated before so the problems with e throttle are not a consideration.

Yes both trigger signals on the engine are hall effect sensors. 

Going back to the sharing, would the monsoon be able to share the tps signal with the OEM ecu?

In terms of wiring to the link, can I reuse all the oem relays and wiring straight to the link without the need to fit new relays?

On the note about codes being thrown, I'm not too concerned with the codes since theoretically the oem ecu would have little outputs to cause anything weird with performance or driveability....maybe only the idle control could possibly behave funny?

Chris.

5 minutes ago, Chris1388 said:

Going back to the sharing, would the monsoon be able to share the tps signal with the OEM ecu?

Yep, TPS should share fine.

6 minutes ago, Chris1388 said:

In terms of wiring to the link, can I reuse all the oem relays and wiring straight to the link without the need to fit new relays?

Most likely.  You will have to be careful of backfeeding. check things like power to the VVT solenoid and fan relay shuts off with ign - some OEM systems leave this stuff "live" at all times which wont work with a Link.

10 minutes ago, Chris1388 said:

On the note about codes being thrown, I'm not too concerned with the codes since theoretically the oem ecu would have little outputs to cause anything weird with performance or driveability....maybe only the idle control could possibly behave funny?

With no e-throttle I think this is unlikely to cause a drivability problem.  Assuming you dont have any sort of "vehicle safety inspection" in your country then DTC's are probably not a concern.

Hi Adam, thanks for the responses.

Yea we don't have any inspections where the obd2 is scanned so the OEM ecu can throw all the codes it wants.

On the wiring, it may be safer to wire new relays in based on what you're saying.