Jump to content

Introducing RealDash - A Dashboard App for Android & Windows


Adamw

Recommended Posts

So I defaulted it again and left it the 2 mil baud rate and it works. I remembered in an earlier related post on here (or the realdash forums) where it mention that that value was too high. Is there any particular reason why it would work at the default baud only? 
Also thanks Adam for the quick and helpful videos. They are very appreciated. 
 

Do you have any tips for setting up an volt values that aren’t predefined in realdash or is that when we start getting into the custom XML files? Also, does this extend to setting up buttons on realdash as triggers to an aux out? 
 

The reason I ask is because I have a Honeywell fuel pressure sensor in PCLink as an volt 7 and when selecting fuel pressure, it shows .3. I’m unsure what this value is since I have around 36.7psi. I’m having the same problem with MAP but it is not being displayed at all, just a static value.


I remembered reading in another post that realdash has predefined sensor settings (ex. water temp was defined as an temp 1, in realdash) so I was also wondering if that might be playing some part in this

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Link2ThePast said:

Is there any particular reason why it would work at the default baud only? 

It will work at any baud rate, you just got to close the port, power cycle and open the port again if you change baud.  But there is no need, 2000000 is the default and it generally works best.

The below channels are broadcast in the dash2pro stream and should all be available without changing a thing.  Fuel presss and MGP are already there.  From memory MGP is labelled MAP or scaled wrong in the default "Link short" CAN description in realdash, but it should work.  Try the xml below and you will have a Link: MGP channel in the ecu specific category.

9mqa9yq.png

Dash2pro.xml

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting, thanks for the clarification on the baud rate thing!

Would fuel pressure also be displayed in the ecu specific category with this xml or would it be the same one that is in the engine/ecu output category? (I don’t remember the exact name and am away from the car currently) 

Also I appreciate the help and the xml file! Will save me the seemingly monumental task of learning how CAN and CAN descriptions work and the setup

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just an update. The xml file had MGP in there but I noticed on in the snip of each frame description it is in kPa. Changing the multiplier to 1/6.895 should give me MGP in Psi correct?

Edit: The above statement was correct

The multiplier should also apply to the fuel pressure correct?

Edit: Still have not figured this one out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone successfully set up a can input with realdash and a G4X?

I tried setting up my own based on the marker button in the Realdash setup example files but in the runtime values, it returns nothing.

I then set it up exactly as shown in the help files Adam included and got an "Inactive" in the runtime values but the button itself did nothing. 

In realdash, I have my button configured as a toggle as per the xml instructions and the data source is "Send to Link: Button 1"

In PCLink, can description is set up as shown in the two included pictures, with the exception of me using "CAN DI 1 (Status)" instead. I noticed that I have an "x" in position 7 of that bit table on the bottom.

In "CAN DI latches" of PCLink, for "CAN DI 1 latch", I switched between "off". "on default inactive" and "on default active". After changing from off to one of the "on" options, it returned a "Fault"

Am I missing something here?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did not try the .rd file with xml file unmodified. I will do so now and report back. Here is the xml and .rd file:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CiPYR6NEtvaxv4rIjn_7SoY6Vur5pgp1?usp=sharing

 

Update: Modifying the CAN settings in PClink to match the included PNG's on the example folder didn't return any different results. I did change the .rd file and .xml to the ones included in the folder as well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

So I still haven't figured out the CAN digital input part yet but I did notice why the fuel pressure was displaying incorrectly. In the previous XML file, it was set as "V/10/100" but actually should be "V*10/100" 

I attached a modified version of the XML in the example folder with the corrected equation. It also has a modified MGP equation so it displays in PSI. 

Link with DI receive.xml

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I figured it out!! So using the modified file above, set up the button action as specified in the Notes.txt:

Select the button then >Input and Values>Select Button Action>New Action>Action Type>Toggle Value On/Off. 

Then, you not only have to select the button name you specified in the XML file ("Send to Link: Button 1") as the data source, you also then have to make sure to set it as the same thing in "Select input". 

Then in PCLink, go to:

DI>CAN DI Latches>CAN DI 8 Latch> On default (on/off) depending on your needs

 

Adam I have not yet tested but does the XML only work for CAN DI 8 Latch because I set it as the parameter? I don't understand how it is assigned in the XML file as CAN DI 8 and am assuming it is based on the PNG. How would I change it to register as CAN DI (another number). 

Could you also explain why the can di parameter is defined in stream 4 frame 1 and not stream 5 instead? It is defined under frame ID 5 which I do not understand.

Would you please take a look at the "Link with DI Recieve - Copy" in my google drive folder (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CiPYR6NEtvaxv4rIjn_7SoY6Vur5pgp1?usp=sharing

and let me know if I am understanding its set up correctly? I would then go into the Can streams and set the corresponding start positions to 8, 9 correct? What about parameter?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Link2ThePast said:

Adam I have not yet tested but does the XML only work for CAN DI 8 Latch because I set it as the parameter? I don't understand how it is assigned in the XML file as CAN DI 8 and am assuming it is based on the PNG. How would I change it to register as CAN DI (another number). 

Change the parameter in the user stream to whichevr DI you want to receive it as.  

 

21 hours ago, Link2ThePast said:

Could you also explain why the can di parameter is defined in stream 4 frame 1 and not stream 5 instead? It is defined under frame ID 5 which I do not understand.

Frame ID is added on to the base ID.  The dash2pro stream sends out 4 sequential frames and we have it set up on ID1000.  So Dash2pro stream uses ID's 1000, 1001, 1002 & 1003.   You will see at the top of the xml file the base ID is set to 1000 and the frame ID 0,1,2,3 cover the dash2pro stream.  i.e. Base ID1000 + frame ID3 = 1003.

The frame ID 4 covers the "transmit user stream *" that you have sent on ID1004.  

The frame ID5 covers the "receive user stream *" on ID1005.

ldJKlug.png

 

21 hours ago, Link2ThePast said:

Would you please take a look at the "Link with DI Recieve - Copy" in my google drive folder (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CiPYR6NEtvaxv4rIjn_7SoY6Vur5pgp1?usp=sharing

and let me know if I am understanding its set up correctly? I would then go into the Can streams and set the corresponding start positions to 8, 9 correct? What about parameter?

The bit positions are explained in red in a pic in the original realdash example.  So your start bits to match your xml would be 7,6 & 5

6RYOP4x.png

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Adamw said:

The bit positions are explained in red in a pic in the original realdash example.  So your start bits to match your xml would be 7,6 & 5

6RYOP4x.png

I think I kind of understand the first two, I’m sure the more I reread it, the full understanding will come.
 

I don’t quite understand why the start bit positions descend in the can setup while the button positions(?) in the xml increase (1,2,3 etc) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh ok I understand. How would I define them in the can setup if I go past 8 DI? I see in the CAN latches it goes all the way up to 16.

DO you have an XML example of a CAN AUX? I'm assuming it would be similar in the can setup end? Width = 1,  Start bit = (as explained in your reply above)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Adam is it possible to enable or add Internal Lambda Sensor (G4+ Fury in my case) to the serial stream for direct USB connections? Or is there perhaps a setting on the Realdash side that I'm unaware of?

 

Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Mikau said:

Adam is it possible to enable or add Internal Lambda Sensor (G4+ Fury in my case) to the serial stream for direct USB connections? Or is there perhaps a setting on the Realdash side that I'm unaware of?

 

Thanks.

No, you will need to use the CAN method.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Couple of realdash questions:

 

1. Can you use a generic elm327 Bluetooth adapter instead of a Can to usb wired adapter (seeedstudio etc)?

2. Can Realdash simulate real switches and control ecu functions, like turning traction control on?off etc?

 

Thanks in advance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Lotussuper7 said:

2. Can Realdash simulate real switches and control ecu functions, like turning traction control on?off etc?


 

It can, that’s how I have my dash set up. I have switches for AC, launch control and my engine lid fans. I outlined how I got mine working a couple replies above. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Link2ThePast said:


 

It can, that’s how I have my dash set up. I have switches for AC, launch control and my engine lid fans. I outlined how I got mine working a couple replies above. 

Thanks for the reply. Looks a bit more involved than I want to get into at the moment. Just looking at the hardware I need to get the basic dash working. Any idea on the adapter? Are you using the wired seeedstudio adapter?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Lotussuper7 said:

Thanks for the reply. Looks a bit more involved than I want to get into at the moment. Just looking at the hardware I need to get the basic dash working. Any idea on the adapter? Are you using the wired seeedstudio adapter?


I have no clue about the Bluetooth adapter, that’s better left for one of the applications engineers. I’m still learning the whole can thing. I can only guess that it would be quite a bit slower than a wired connection 
 

yes I am using the seed studio adapter. Or some clone, I got it on Amazon 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

love the dash bought and paid for thank you. I can not get my map sensor value to read anything like A correct value. 
 

does anyone know the scaling for the channel. I have a Mazda rx7 fd3s with stock MAP sensor. I had a play with the multiplier but it’s just not right. 
 

thanks

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/30/2021 at 6:03 PM, Lotussuper7 said:

Can you use a generic elm327 Bluetooth adapter instead of a Can to usb wired adapter (seeedstudio etc)?

No, the only bluetooth option I know that works is the OBDLink MX+.  The Seeedstudio is the cheapest option for G4X.  If you have a G4+ you can just plug straght into the USB tuning cable.

 

On 7/31/2021 at 2:56 AM, Myrotarylife said:

love the dash bought and paid for thank you. I can not get my map sensor value to read anything like A correct value. 

Are you using CAN or serial?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, LeNainCapable said:

I was wondering : is there a planned update on activating the USB tuning cable data stream for G4X ? It sure feels like a step back :/

No, most dashboards stopped using RS232 about 10 years ago so there is no need to support it any more.  Why do you think it is a step backwards when RS232 is slow, one way, non-configurable, and you cant tune the ecu when the dash is connected.  With CAN you can customise what channels you want, you can send data both ways so onscreen buttons can control ecu functions, and you can still tune with the dash connected.    

Yes the MX+ is a proper CAN adapter so can do all the stuff the USB adapters can do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...