Introducing RealDash - A Dashboard App for Android & Windows

Adamw

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone successfully set up a Can Aux through realdash? I've finalised the dash and the last couple things I want to do is activate indicators for both cruise enable and cruise active. I don't quite understand how these would work but I thought maybe I would be able to transmit a value similar to how the knock detected is transmitted in Adam's example. 

Since I couldn't add CAN Aux status/Freq/duty in the frames on the ECU side, I instead thought of returning Link specific values. My thinking is that I could set the two lights to virtual Aux 1/2 and then return those in frame id 4 and then assign the value in real dash according to if the value is 1 or 0. Do I have this right?

Also if I do it this way, I do not need to add anything in the streams right?

I included a link the my google drive folder, the XML file named Virtual Aux is the one I plan on using if anyone can take a look at it.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CiPYR6NEtvaxv4rIjn_7SoY6Vur5pgp1?usp=sharing

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm wondering if any of you can help me out?  I have a G4X plugin running my '99 WRX.

My mechanic has wired in the seeed CAN analyser to CAN 1 for me using the link CAN pigtail and the CANF plug.  It still has the jumper installed which I believe indicates if is terminating the CAN bus.  It is the only device on CAN 1.

I have followed the video from this thread (https://www.dropbox.com/s/frkb559eput9qov/Screenshot 2020-09-18 at 12.59.40.png?dl=0)

If I go to CAN monitor in realdash I just get a failed to connect message.

I have tried this on my laptop and on my Samsung Galaxy S20+ using a USB2GO adapter.

At this point I am wondering if my Seeed CAN analyser is faulty or the wiring is bad.

How would you best go about confirming these things. Is there another way to confirm the Seeed CAN device is operating as required?

Did you try defaulting the USB adapter?  Instructions here:  https://github.com/SeeedDocument/USB-CAN-Analyzer/raw/master/res/Document/11.Restore the default configuration description.pdf

Can you also link to the video you mentioned as the link you gave only goes to a picture.  Perhaps attach your tune also.

OK, the reset may have been it.  I got it working now on my mobile via usb2go cable and seems to be working great.  Haven't had success yet on the laptop, but don't need it there as I was just trying it as a test.  I'll probably move to using an android headunit now I know it works. 

Now to find or create a dashboard that has the stuff I want to see.

Thanks so much Adam

• 1 month later...

Can anyone help me out with setting up my CAN user stream.  I have ethanol % working, but am struggling to get other data streams added.

I'd like to add MGP, ECT Wgate Trim % and IAT Ignition Trim %.

I'm stuggling to determine the width of each stream on the ECU side which makes getting the Realdash xml right difficult.

With the attached settings I get 80% ethanol displayed which matches what I see in PCLink.  The MGP seems to display something above 200 which is obviously wrong.  I'm pretty sure the frame is wrong completely

Is MGP the best value to watch for boost pressure?  It seems to correlate to what my physical boost gauge displays, and that seem to line up with the boost that my tune is setup with

CAN Stream2.JPG

link_ecu_short-mgp.xml

On 5/5/2022 at 5:08 PM, AdamH said:

Can anyone help me out with setting up my CAN user stream.  I have ethanol % working, but am struggling to get other data streams added.

I'd like to add MGP, ECT Wgate Trim % and IAT Ignition Trim %.

Try the xml attached and setup the ecu like below.  The main problem with your MGP is MGP can be both positive and negative.  Since it can read down to -100kpa, we put a 100offset on it at the ecu end (so -100kpa mgp would be sent over CAN as "0".  Then at the realdash end we subtract that 100 offset off again. 

Since ECT trim and IAT trim can also both go negative also we will handle those in the same way.  The IAT trim also has the multiplier of 10 on it so you can cover the 0.1° resolution.  Not sure if I have the formula right in the XML for the IAT ign trim.  

m5jtGEC.png

link_ecu_short-mgp v1.xml

1 hour ago, Choppah said:

Is there any update on this for the g4x?

Do you mean can you connect Realdash to G4X?  Yes, you just need to connect it via CAN bus with a USB to CAN adapter.  The realdash manual shows the USB CAN adapters that are supported, most use the seeed studio one.  

Hi,

Thanks for that. I have MGP (converted to PSI) and ect wgate trim working OK.  IAT ign trim seems a bit wonky.

What are the ranges and units of measure for ect wgate trim and iat ign trim? I just want to set an indicator to show when they are in effect.  I'm not so intersted in the values but knowing the range and units might help verifying the values I see in Realdash

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2022 at 8:40 AM, Link2ThePast said:

Has anyone successfully set up a Can Aux through realdash?

Since I couldn't add CAN Aux status/Freq/duty in the frames on the ECU side, I instead thought of returning Link specific values. My thinking is that I could set the two lights to virtual Aux 1/2 and then return those in frame id 4 and then assign the value in real dash according to if the value is 1 or 0. Do I have this right?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CiPYR6NEtvaxv4rIjn_7SoY6Vur5pgp1?usp=sharing

I'm sending a VA2 Virtual AUX 2 value to Realdash, which is tied to my VTC / NVCS On/Off value;

The value is RealDash is reported as the Link 'Virtual AUX' State - so for me:
1 is 'VTC Off'
2 is 'VTC On'

I've then got a Trigger in Realdash that updates text accordingly to 'VTC Off' / 'VTC On' depending on the VA2 State - either 1 or 2

I'm 99% sure the XML below is correct - apologies its 6 months old, prior to me moving to a Compound CAN Frame setup more recently

1246920832_VA2toRealDash.thumb.png.156e8f7dee1137e9b5db7f133ca6d130.png

I can't see the fourth assigned CAN ID on your CAN Setup page - unsure whether its '1004' to match your 'Frame ID 4' in your RealDash XML;
But if the intention was to send AUX data - I think the Channel 4 in your CAN Setup needs to be changed to "Transmit User Stream 4" as well

Edited by jdniss
typos

• 3 months later...
12 hours ago, robbi said:

all display values work except oil pressure and map.

MAP is not transmitted in the Dash2pro stream - only MGP.  In realdash this is labelled "Manifold Absolute Pressure" so it is incorrectly named, but it does work.  Would you rather have MAP than MGP?  We can change that with a custom stream if you need it. 

Oil pressure is also working but your calibration is wrong in the ecu, it was only set to 0-10kpa.  Realdash translates Kpa into Bar.  

2QtSVCy.png

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Firstly, thanks to Adam and everyone else that has contributed to this thread. This was much more complex to put together than I expected.

I'm using a G4X plugin for a nissan RB and have everything running nicely using a slightly modified "link-ecu-short-mgp.xml" posted earlier in this thread....

....except, the ECU > Manifold Absolute Pressure value is reading about 0.5 psi off compared to a CAN gauge I have been using for a while. The definition in the XML I am using is:

<value targetId="31" offset="2" length="2" conversion="(V-100)/6.895"/> <!-- MAP -->

any help is appreciated; simply I am trying to find the easiest way to display MAP (including vacuum) with a PSI scale

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2022 at 5:31 PM, Duncanhandley said:

"..simply I am trying to find the easiest way to display MAP (including vacuum) with a PSI scale"

@Duncanhandley - I'm calculating PSI for boost and inHg mercury for vacuum - based off of the MGP Manifold Gauge Pressure value - as it goes into negative values, unlike MAP;

Though rather than potentially causing a conflict in the XML config - and to save myself passing in the parameter twice - I've configured RealDash calculate PSI/Vacuum on-the-fly directly in the Dash

ECU Side:
image.png.3662d0a86725cca9012c38fb358980f6.png

RealDash XML Config:
*Looks like you can call the relative parameter 'Name' whatever you like ~ turns out their fairly customizable and RealDash will recognize them
image.thumb.png.882edd646db23a199a317842d7fafc47.png

Input value within Realdash:

image.png.0b6e3241e22dc1de23dc26ee5c08ca8e.png

Modify the 'Link ECU: Manifold Gauge Pressure' value read outs accordingly via:
'Look and Feel' -> 'Special' -> 'Gauge Math'

Positive Boost Pressure:
image.png.e9b9048c7b7ff339dd8baafa17e504f3.png

Negative Vacuum:
*This calculation typically shows exactly - or within 0.1inHg of my Blitz SBC-ID Boost Controller - on the same vacuum source - so fairly accurate
image.png.6cf213922b0232263be0f57f6d957318.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi jdnis, thanks for your response, this has taken me a while to get back to.

On further investigation with PCLink, Realdash shows the same value as PCLink when I use Adam's supplied link_can_short.xml and I apply the V*0.14503 multiplier in Realdash gauge math, for both positive and negative boost (I don't understand how you had 2 gauge math values unless you had 2 gauges? In any case, it doesn't seem to be required)

What I did confirm is that my GaugeArt CAN Gauge does not show the same value as PCLink which was my original confusion....but that is a question for them, not this thread :)