Trig1 error when VVT control on

pattun@NC3

Hello all

I just finished wiring of an Extreme ECU on a MX5 NC 2.0(LF-VE)

I started try to control VVT. But VVT control was on, trig1 error occurred like a linked movie.

when VVT control is off, This symptom does not occur .

Has anyone experienced such a case?

Hallo all.

try to change Trig1 edge fall to rise.but soon engine was stalled out.

Even if it does not stall, engine rev count is not stable .

and, try the camtest again and set the obtained 6 offset value in the trig2 offset . but,trig1 error did not improve .

I will attach a log when an error occurs.

thanks.

Log 2018-07-5 2;28;11 pm.llg

Ok, weird.  I wonder if this car has one of the odd sensors that inverts at higher RPM.  Can you please change trigger 1 setting back to falling.  Turn VVT off.  Do another triggerscope at about 3000RPM.

in my experience changing a trigger from rising to falling while the engine is running almost always causes it to stall. Get the trigger scope like Adam says first, but also try running the trigger 1 calibration with the trigger set to rising and see if you get an offset a few degrees different, then try starting it again.

6 minutes ago, JMP said:

Have you tried the "Mx5 VVTi" trigger mode with both triggers set to rising?

The MX5 VVTi only has 4 teeth on the crank, very different to this one which is something like 36-1-1-1

Edited by Adamw
typo

I think you're half right. The VVT system in the ECU allows for this if you have VVT offset for trigger 2 set correctly. 

Yours is probably not correct - you have the offset as 720degrees, which seems unlikely.

image.png.015fb017bcff87c57887733b5e417ae8.png

Run the cam angle test to figure out the value you should have here

As per the help file:

image.png.6a7343b66527dc9d7b803745a530acc9.png

I would have expected trigger 2 errors from this being wrong rather than trigger 1 (crank) errors, but it might help.

I tried it several times and get cam angle value #1 to 6.  After that input value to VVT offset.  but,trig1 error did not improve.

later,I’ll retry to cam test.

First of all, is the connection part of trig2 input was wrong…?

16 hours ago, pattun@NC3 said:

Reason for occurrence of trig1 error, The phases of trig1 and trig2 are shifted by  Advance angle of cam?

Yes, that seems to be your problem but the VVT trigger modes are generally designed to allow large movement between the cam and crank patterns, usually more than 100 degrees.  I suspect your cam/crank phasing may be much different to the Mazda 3 that this triggermode was designed for.  I havent had much time to spend looking at your trigger scope closely so I will do some work on that tonight.

16 hours ago, cj said:

I think you're half right. The VVT system in the ECU allows for this if you have VVT offset for trigger 2 set correctly. 

Yours is probably not correct - you have the offset as 720degrees, which seems unlikely.

Just FYI, triggering and VVT control are two completely seperate functions.  VVT set up has no influence on the trigger.  The VVT offset is just to "zero" the cam position.

Sorry for the delay, I have had a few busy days.  I just noticed that your trigger two actually flips upside down at 3000RPM. 

Here is your earlier one done at idle:

TaaJsIs.png

And here is your 3000RPM:

cZzaPAF.png

Can you try setting both trig 1 and trig 2 to rising.  You will probably need to set base timing/trigger offset again. 

I did not think the signal was inverted.

Immediately, try to change trig1/2 edge rising and resetting trigger offset.

As a result, It seems that the Ignition signal does not appear normally.

Is there a function to check the Ignition signal in PClink like triggerscope?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2018 at 6:04 AM, Adamw said:

Can you try changing Trig 1 edge to "rising", your trigger 1 is inverted from the normal Mazda 3 pattern.

Here is what the ECU expects the Mazda 3 pattern to look like:

zdciZjg.png

I Try to get same waveform as mazda3  pattern,and I succeeded in getting it wIth General purpose logic ic.

I tried to input the obtained waveform, but the error did not disappear.

Is there a possibility of a trigger processing bug?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2018 at 4:29 AM, Leiden said:

Turn the pullup resistors on for trig 1 & trig 2. Also set the trigger edge's back to falling.

Recalibrate the trigger offset and redo the cam angle test to get the offset value for trigger 2 vvt.

Currently, A and B are connected in parallel.(piggyback) 

Even in this state,  is it necessary to set trig1/2 pullup on?

Ahh that makes sense, if the stock ecu is still connected then that will be providing the pullup.

Once thing I did notice is the offset is set to 720ATDC, have you tried the cam angle test to get the right value?