Auto ignition retard?

M1tch

Hi all,

Just in the process of getting my Link ECU all wired in, have a few sensors still to arrive to convert the car over to using a MAP sensor etc. I am also having a look at the HP Academy webinars etc as it has quite a few guides on the various aspects of the Link in a real world scenario.

I can see that there is a quick tune option for fueling which should help to quickly adjust the fueling I have to the AFR targets (will be initially doing some road tuning to get an initial map), is there any functionality of having an auto ignition option at all? I will probably retard the ignition for the whole map initially so that its safer before logging data during some road tuning. I only ask as with my (now obsolete) Power FC I am using 'Copilot' which can do auto fueling (although not used) as well as auto spark which retards the ignition if knock levels are over a certain level.

I only ask as I used this option to pull back timing automatically (and write it to the map) if knock levels were at a certain limit which would then make the map slightly safer - I know that the Link ECU has knock protection which the Power FC doesn't have, but just wanted to ask.

I guess it might be a case of perhaps retarding the ignition slightly, sort the fueling out and then tweak the ignition slightly whilst checking knock levels?

I will be using the original high mileage engine initially to try out the ECU and tune it a bit, I am currently building a fully forged engine which I will initially run NA, then bolt a turbo on at a later date (will be going to a dyno for mapping when I do go turbo) - but gains NA aren't that big and am just looking to optimise/learn on the old engine first - not too worried if something fails.

Thanks in advance!

There is no auto-tune option for ignition timing.  With a NA engine you are unlikely going to be knock limited and even if it where you would have to try pretty hard to break it.   Copy the ignition map out of one of the 350Z base maps will be a nice conservative starting point.

6 minutes ago, Adamw said:

There is no auto-tune option for ignition timing.  With a NA engine you are unlikely going to be knock limited and even if it where you would have to try pretty hard to break it.   Copy the ignition map out of one of the 350Z base maps will be a nice conservative starting point.

Thank you - will copy the map over, good to know I can't do too much damage NA, will learn more via the HP Academy webinars etc coupled with some road tuning.