Can't connect via usb to ecu.

Mattg1994

Hi, im having a problem connecting to my ecu, its a WRXLink 06-07. Whenever i connect the usb and open the link software and attempt to connect i get the following: "unable to connect to the ecu but usb connection is present. please cycle the power to the ecu"

I have tried everything i can possibly find to fix this issue including;

Selecting the COM Port found in device manager and connecting manually, Changing the baud rate to every possible selection, Uninstalling and re-installing the link software and the usb drivers (multiple times with no failures), Unplugging everything from the ecu except the usb. I get the same error message every single time. Previously i have set everything to auto and as soon as i plug the usb in with ignition on it connects instantly.

I had my laptop connected a couple days ago so i don't understand why i am getting this error now. I also tried a different laptop and had the same issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated as i really need to get my tune updated. 

Cheers, Matt.

Try disconnecting the battery or fully unplugging the ECU and then reconnect and try to talk to it.

You can also try a firmware update as this will run via a separate program and might allow connection and upgrade.

8 hours ago, Simon said:

Try disconnecting the battery or fully unplugging the ECU and then reconnect and try to talk to it.

You can also try a firmware update as this will run via a separate program and might allow connection and upgrade.

I have tried this and get the same error, i bought a new battery yesterday and that didn't solve the issue either. I have also tried a firmware update but it tells me i am not connected to the ecu.

Unless CAN has been added, plugins only have 1 flying lead for USB coms (but hey, best to check)

"unable to connect to the ecu but usb connection is present." means the USB chip is able to communicate with the PC.
The fact the engine runs means the micro is getting power.

So it's something getting in the way of the RS232 communications between the USB chip and the micro, usually this is something connected to the CAN1 connector on the bottom board and the unused RS232 TX and RX wires are acting as antennae. 

18 hours ago, TechDave said:

Unless CAN has been added, plugins only have 1 flying lead for USB coms (but hey, best to check)

"unable to connect to the ecu but usb connection is present." means the USB chip is able to communicate with the PC.
The fact the engine runs means the micro is getting power.

So it's something getting in the way of the RS232 communications between the USB chip and the micro, usually this is something connected to the CAN1 connector on the bottom board and the unused RS232 TX and RX wires are acting as antennae. 

There is only 1 port for USB and it says USB on the PCB where the port is, so im definitely ok there. I have tried unplugging everything except the USB and still get the same error so i believe that cancels out your other theory also. At this point i think its narrowed down to the cable or the chip. I'll be getting a new cable this week so fingers crossed its as simple as that, if you have any other ideas i'd be happy to try as i would rather not have to send the ecu away. Cheers.

15 hours ago, Mattg1994 said:

if you have any other ideas i'd be happy to try as i would rather not have to send the ecu away.

Where abouts are you?  We have tech support office in UK and USA now if that is any closer for you. 

3 hours ago, Adamw said:

Where abouts are you?  We have tech support office in UK and USA now if that is any closer for you. 

I'm in Australia, it's not too far to send it it's more just a pain because I won't be able to use my car. 

• 3 years later...
On 8/6/2018 at 8:00 AM, Simon said:

I tried this but my ecu decided not to reply, i think i should be a little nicer, do you think?

15 minutes ago, Rewa267 said:

I tried this but my ecu decided not to reply, i think i should be a little nicer, do you think?

This post is 3 years old, it would be better to start your own thread in the correct section with some information about your problem and what ecu you have etc.