Canbus sensor hub

wasted talent

Hi.

Im trying to free up auxiliary I/O's on g4+ plugin to enable use of dbw. 

Is there a module? available that can read the sensors i have currently oil pressure and temp, fuel press, ethanol sensor, pre and post I/C water temps, and feed out to the ecu via CAN without too much complexity?

Thanks

You are limited to a few specific analog inputs over CAN (current list below).  So from your list above you could only really free up the fuel and oil press inputs by this method.  There is not a good way for any of the others. 

One of these would be suitable:  https://www.autosportlabs.com/product/analogx-4-channel-analog-to-can-interface/

What ECU do you have and what else is assigned to analog inputs?  You should only need 3 extra above a normal cable throttle setup.

kcIzjUE.png

• 5 months later...
On 9/14/2018 at 5:02 PM, Adamw said:

You are limited to a few specific analog inputs over CAN (current list below).  So from your list above you could only really free up the fuel and oil press inputs by this method.  There is not a good way for any of the others. 

One of these would be suitable:  https://www.autosportlabs.com/product/analogx-4-channel-analog-to-can-interface/

What ECU do you have and what else is assigned to analog inputs?  You should only need 3 extra above a normal cable throttle setup.

kcIzjUE.png

Hi Adamw,

I have just stumbled across this thread while searching for a solution of running out of inputs on my ATOM 2 G4+.

After doing a bit of research I also found the autosport lab analogx 4 channel analog to can interface and am wondering if I can use this device and my 1 can channel to input the below??

0-5v output from my knock monitor pro knock detection kit

Oil pressure sensor (you have confirmed above this is possible)

Also probably need a wheel speed sensor in there.

What are the limitations on inputs using the autosportlab device and my link atom?

By the sound of the above quoted comment this analog to can option doesn't have the flexibility of a normal an volt input?

Any help on this much appreciated.

Cheers

Kenian.

18 hours ago, Kenian said:

After doing a bit of research I also found the autosport lab analogx 4 channel analog to can interface and am wondering if I can use this device and my 1 can channel to input the below??

0-5v output from my knock monitor pro knock detection kit

Oil pressure sensor (you have confirmed above this is possible)

Also probably need a wheel speed sensor in there.

Oil pressure is easy, this would be received as a native input and would work just like a sensor connected to a real analog input.  The knock input would have to use one of the generic "CAN AN Volt" inputs (there are 8 available).  You could then put that CAN AN Volt parameter on the axis of a 4D ignition table to retard based on voltage, or you could set up a virtual aux or similar to retard by a certain amount if the knock voltage goes above a certain level etc.  The AnalogX device only has analog voltage inputs so it wont do wheel speeds (frequency).

18 hours ago, Kenian said:

What are the limitations on inputs using the autosportlab device and my link atom?

By the sound of the above quoted comment this analog to can option doesn't have the flexibility of a normal an volt input?

The main limitation is how the generic CAN AN Volt inputs work:  

1. They cant be renamed/labelled - so your knock input for instance when logged or used on a table will always be named "CAN AN Volt 1", there is no facility to name it say "knock level".
  2. The units will always be "Volts", you cant assign a cal table to make it say read say °C or % for instance like you can with a real analog input.  You can however still use the multiplier/divider/offset in the CAN set up to scale it into meaningful numbers.  For instance a 0-500Kpa pressure sensor received as one of the generic CAN AN Volt channels could be scaled to read 0-500V instead of 0-500Kpa.
  3. There are some other odd devices like accelerometers that need to read both positive and negative numbers that dont current work well with the generic CAN AN Volt inputs.