AP1 S2000 trigger errors

DanielVRF

Hi Guys,

Recently purchased a link storm for the AP1 chassis. The car when choosing S2000 trigger pattern will not run or fire at all. Spits and comes up with multiple trigger errors. I am reading that the AP1 (First genreation S2k) has different setup.

Can someone help?

The newer S2000's moved to bascially the K20a trigger pattern, but still no VVT. You could probaby set K20a trigger mode and then set VVT to off.

See here for old vs new s2000 trigger wheels - the pre2005 one is exactly as Adam described

xgQasqP.jpg

Here is a pic of a k20a trigger wheel. The offset looks different, but the keyway might just be at a different angle.  Depending on the direction that cam wheel turns, the tooth location looks VERY similar to the exhaust cam trigger on a k20a. I cant find a pic of one out of the engine but here is a scope from one where you can see its 4+a smaller 1

20130313_192212_zps2cdd296c.jpg

Crank_Vs_ExhuastTBCYellowWire_2.jpg

Hi guys,

Yes I will get a trigger scope up. The weird thing is yesterday it started on optical/hall with both sensors and was running. Was getting minimal trigger error but was still getting it. Seems on S2000 with reluctor the offset is wrong as it is popping. I could be wrong. I will do a trigger scope here shortly and post it up. 

You have very low voltage for some reason but it appears also both sensors are wired incorrect polarity also, so lets first fix that and see if there is any improvement.

Here are the sensor pinouts from the help file, please make sure the sensors are wired like this:

110viwh.png

The weird part about this is that the car with S2000 trigger option set and on optical hall started. Sounded great. But had major trigger errors once warm. It actually had more trigger error problems once the fans kicked on. 

I forgot to mention this car has a crafts works supercharger on it and was running a Series 2 AEM unit. Car ran fine but had idle issues. I am beginning to wonder if the CKP sensor is going bad? I will update you guys shortly. I am also contacting boomslang who made the jumper to make sure the polarity was reversed in the wiring.

Thanks 

The trigger scope looks more like the older S2000 pattern than the K20/new s2000. I dont see any small/close together teeth, and the cam trigger looks like its 3 pulses not 5. Can you run another trigger scope capture while its running but cold, and a third one when its warm with the fans on so we can see what the ECU thinks is the problem?

1 hour ago, DanielVRF said:

This is most likely the old platform. I will try to get it started again on S2000 mode in optical hall. That is the only way it has been able to run.  Once the fans kick on it throws multiple trigger errors. I am assuming now it is a bad CKP sensor?

Dont waste your time, the sensors are clearly reluctors.  You just need to fix your wiring.  But both are wired back to front and it also seems like there may be something wierd like a sheild tied to a signal pin or possibly one of the sensors grounds through it's body as you have strong cross talk between the cam and crank sensors.  See below every time there is a tooth on the cam it upsets the crank waveform.

24y7hoh.png

The factory shield drain for the timing sensors on the S2000 is connected to a grounding bolt in the engine bay. The other grounds are OEM for Crank - and Cam - which are grounded to the default sensor/ timing ground pin on the Link.

I think I am going to swap the sensor polarity at the pins themselves on the engine harness side of things. I am not sure why Link can not decipher the way it is wired from the factory?

I will update you guys tomorrow.

Ok guys! Solved..... The trigger voltage was a little low do to bad ground. That is where we were getting some interruption. As well as on the boomslang harness. The polarity was not switched. He was very nice and they noted that for the S2000 market. So now everything is running great and even at cranking we have zero trigger error. 

Adam... Thank you sir! You were correct and it looks like everything is running smooth now. Hopefully if anyone has an issue like this. They can read this thread.