Nissan speedo signal

SwissChris

Hey there, I need support in setting up my nissan R33 speedo. I‘m getting the signal from a hall effect sensor on my cd009 gearbox into my G4 fury. 

I send the speedo signal via aux4 to the stock R33 speedo. But the needle does not move in neither setup.

is the G4 fury not able to send the needed 12v signal to a nissan speedo?

what can I do?

thanks and regards

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the Information, the speed reading in the PC Link software is correct.

The current problem, as far as I understand it is the following. The stock RB transmission speed sender is acting as a pulldown to ground and therefore the cluster is the driver.
By wiring the cluster to the the link g4 (DO4) is the Driver, which won't work because there is no pull down to Ground option...

Am I correct?

Thanks for your help!
Cheers!
Chris

• 1 month later...

Old thread I know but to result it for others, Nissan Z32 300ZX running a Storm black, the above circuit works perfectly in converting the Link ECU "speedo" DC output to an OEM AC wave form in order to run the OEM speedo.

From this forum lurker, excellent support,

Cheers.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Iceman - Thank you for confirming that the circuit works, once I get my GTR back out this will be one of the first things I do so glad to know there is a confirmed method.

Adam - Unfortunately I was too late here to actually see the diagram and it is now missing, would you be able to repost it please?

Thanks,

Edward.

On 12/29/2019 at 10:07 PM, Mobilelpg said:

Adam - Unfortunately I was too late here to actually see the diagram and it is now missing, would you be able to repost it please?

Sorry, I don’t normally use that pic host but sometimes have to when my normal one is not available.  I’m overseas for a couple of weeks but should still have that pic at home or I can do the test again and redraw something.  Give me a reminder in about 10 days.

• 4 months later...

Car is a 300zx …. The speedo is connected as per the attachment and works as far as the indicated speed go up and down depending on if the car is accelerating or slowing. The problem is it reads about 8% slow and will not adjust, at all. Would using the above circuit modification fix this?

Speedo Setup.png

I have also tried using the Wheel Speed sensors as the source.

I don't recall what my Z32 speedo was reading while connected to the speedo aux but it was erroneous. Grooming the aux signal with the additional circuit and applying the multiplier worked for me. I had been using a Dakota Digital converter box like the OP to do the same thing with the same car but with another standalone (piggyback) ecu. A trip to Jaycar for the required components tidied that all up...

Ok, got it set to "test PWM" , which frequency do I try changing ? the option now showing in  aux 2 or the one in "speedo out" along with the multiplier?

@ 200hz in the aux 2 test pwm box I get ticking/knocking noise from the Transmission Speed Sensor. Above this the noise stops and below the 200hz the noise frequency speeds up. At no time does the Speedo Needle move.

The frequency setting on the aux output, the speedo settings have no effect when the aux is not set to speedo function.  

It sounds like you have a wiring problem if the speed sensor is making noise when you switch on aux 2?  The speed sensor should not have any connection to aux 2.

OK ... there are 2 wires going from the gearbox speed sensor to the speedo, 1 = yellow with black strip and a blue one. I am assuming I tap into the Blue one and go from the gearbox to a DI and the other end the comes from the speedo going to a aux output ? . Pretty sure the yellow/black goes to ground.

There is a yellow/green wire goes from the speedo to the factory ecu ... assuming I ignore this one ?

No there should be no connection between the speed sensor and the speedo anymore. 

One of the speed sensor wires should be connected to ground, the other to the ECU DI.

The speedo wire should be connected to the ECU aux only (with the resistor & cap) as per my drawing above.

The yellow/green wire goes between the ecu and the speedo. I connected this wire with the signal modifying circuit above, to the DI. I then calibrated what the speedo was reading using the multiplier...

To control the dash you need to cut the wires going from the gearbox sensor and feed the gearbox sensor end into a DI and signal ground on the ECU and the other end needs to be hooked up to the RC circuit/aux setup and a signal ground, the speed input into the ECU is a modified signal from the dash and you cannot drive the dash using the ecu speed input wires. I've recently pulled apart a lot of my stagea wiring and this is how I found mine to be laid out, grey plug ECU but I don't see why they would have changed it