G4+ Xtreme Red to Run BMW S62B50?

IL555

Hi Guys, 

Ive just purchased a G4+ Xtreme Red from a guy locally, has anyone run this engine using Link Previously that can help with a Base map?

Any other hardware required? Can the Xtreme ECU run the OEM BMW Coilpacks? Communicate with all the BMW Sensors simply? 

& Also, what do I need to connect to my RaceTech Dash2 via CAN?

Thanks in Advance. 

first concern would be the dual DBW units on the M5, that ecu seems to have only a single H Bridge ? 

Dash2 normally runs serial, so you'd likely need their CAN adapter. RT should be able to advise, or you might be able to run it via serial which would save any hassle and extra boxes.

Either way, it's just a power supply and 2 wires. ( Can Hi/Lo or for RS232 Tx and Rx and a ground, so 3 lol )

I wouldnt see the coilpacks being a problem, nor the sensors. Although it may be more convenient to change temperature sensors if you cannot find calibrations or sort calibrations for the existing ones.

VVT could be a pain....but as you've mentioned doing away with that...then it shouldnt be difficult to get it running without it.

Morning Stevie, 

Thanks for taking the time to reply, The S62 engine only has one throttle actuator running both banks, the S65 V8 & M5 V10 have dual so should be ok?

Would rather run the Dash2 through CAN, ive heard its a mare to setup, but surely in this CAN mode it is only displaying Data so should be a more simple setup when the ECU understands all?

I had been warned when looking into the MaxxECU System that it was required to install ignition amplifiers for the BMW Passive Coils? would this be required on the Link?

Can any one advise on sensor / temp sensor calibration? surely BMW use similar sensors across their ranges?

Yes I will be removing the Vanos system and running different Cams.

Can you advise anyone to install / time the cams locally Stevie?

16 minutes ago, TechDave said:

We cannot run the VANOS on this engine, it has two solenoids per cam, 4 cams, therefore you'll need 8 aux drivers set up for this and only 4 of our aux drives can be used for vvt.

Morning Dave, Thank you for your input. 

As written above, I am removing the Vanos units and fixing the timing on Aftermarket Cams. 

Is there anything else i should be concerned about?

If the BMW coils are inductive....( usually 2 or 3 wires ) then yes you would need to run external amplifiers. Although some internally amplified coils are also 3 wires...so dont take that as meaning anything.

From a simplicity point of view, I do prefer modern coils with amps built in and they are plentiful these days. Although as you'd be getting a loom made ? It wouldnt be too hard to add a pair of ign amps into the system for the 8 coils.

If you have only one throttle actuator then that would be fine, I thought most ITB BMW's had an actuator for each bank.

I tried the Dash2 with my old DTA via CAN many years ago.....and gave up. It's a pain in the hole trying to configure their CAN adaptor as an interface between the two devices and RT were of little help. I sold both instead, luckily I had bought the Dash second hand so didnt lose too much on it.

IMO if it can work off serial, that should be easier as they should be able to configure the Dash already, so it's only the ecu talking to the dash...not the ecu talking to an interface and then talking to the dash.

And there would be no guarantee they use similar sensors or sensor scalings. But really...that isnt any big issue. You're largely only talking water temp and air temp anyway. I wouldnt be too concerned about that.

As for the cams, if you can follow instructions and have the correct tools, it shouldnt be too difficult yourself. Can't think of anyone I'd leave it to though

Thank you Stevie. 

Is there a brand Ignition amplifier you would recommend or have used in the Past?

Or best to source one from another OEM that is commonly used?

Or Maybe better again to move across to a smarter coil pack which doesnt require the amplifier?

I see alot of people using the VAG Red top coils? for this reason?

Coil choice will depend what is easiest fitted.

VAG are popular, as are R35 GTR, as are Honda K/Denso. For coils, I would always say buy OEM, not any aftermarket, whether they claim to be OEM replacements or not.

I've never actually used a separate ignition amp for about 15 years....so cant really think of one to use lol. But plenty of Bosch or similar, or OEM stuff out there. Or no doubt Link will sell one.

But a pencil type coil with internal amp, or an LS style coil for coil near plug would be the preferred option

Not really an on engine test...but a test for some coils, and a visual on shapes and sizes.