Latest Quirk -- System Voltage Too High

Guest |168|

I have cam phase solenoids on Aux 3 and 4 of my V88. The more duty cycle driven on the cam circuits, the higher the system voltage... What gives? I have normal voltage at the battery as well as on the opposite side of the solenoid, and can't think of what would cause 16v+ at the fuse :?: Engine is a Porsche 3.4L Cayman engine with variocam, and variolift.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Chris,

Sorry for the delay answering, I had to get one of the Vipec engineers to give their insight as to what could cause this.

This is what we believe is happening. The V88 is not being powered though pin A5, and is getting power from backfeed on one or more of the outputs. When the cam control solenoids operate the backfeed from the solenoids has nowhere to go so you get a high internal voltage.

Ray.

You nailed it Ray! :D

It was strange because I had switched 12v at the wire I had used. Perhaps there was some sort of voltage differential throwing it off between the cam solenoid power and the ECU power. I switched the ecu power to the same source as the cams and all is well!

Thank you very much for your help.

-Chris