Traction Control

Guest Marcel B

Guest Marcel B

Ray as you know I have contacted asking about connection of the speed sensor located on my gear box. It seems pretty streight forward ,however I have been wondering about traction control . I recall that you had stated that full traction control would soon be made available on these ECU's , is it still in the cards ? could the gear box speed input be utalized or would it require wheel speed (2 or4) sensor inputs :?:

When traction control is available, you will need a minimum of two vehicle speed inputs. One speed input must be from a non driven wheel, the other from a driven.

You will be able to have four wheel speed inputs also. This is the ultimate setup as differences in the non driven wheel speeds in corners will be averaged.

Ray

• 6 months later...
Guest |263|

I was thinking of making a 4d ignition map with one non driven wheel speed sensor on one axis and a driven wheel speed sensor on the other axis. In the case that the driven wheel is going faster than the non driven, retard the ignition to limit torque. Would this work?

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Will it be free firmware update for current ViPEC owners? I hope so, I haven't seen any features that require buying additional licenses. Is the CPU powerful enough to process data for true traction control?

Will it be free firmware update for current ViPEC owners?

Yes it will be a normal free firmware update.

Is the CPU powerful enough to process data for true traction control?

The processor is just idling at the moment. It is more then capable of doing four wheel input traction control.

Ray.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an idea to share as a feature request:

- It would be superb if there's an option for variable slip percentage traction control with potentiometer or a switch with few positions

- To have an option to use output for a LED which flashes when TC takes place. Could be combined with CEL also.. This will provide stock feel. Racelogic Traction Control does not have this even with the digital adjuster..

• 1 month later...

Hello Ray

Is there any difference between how I configure the traction control on the V44 compared to the v88? In this topic ( viewtopic.php?f=3&t=285&p=1734&hilit=ignition+retard+traction#p1734 ) you have suggested using the slip funtion by using a 4D ignition table. Do this configuration give you traction controll for several gears and how much can I retard the ignition without making damage to the engine?

//Emil Backram

This can be done on the V44 and V88. The ignition reduction makes the exhaust temperatures higher. This is not going to harm the engine as the time the engine is running less advance is short. It is turbocharger's that suffer from retarded timing, not so much the engine. The more retard the further from the cylinder the fuel burns. With not enough advance the turbo manifold and turbocharger will run very hot. As we are only reducing advance for a short time it will have no effect.

I am currently testing "real" traction control for the V44 or V88. If it all goes well you may see it in the next firmware version.

Ray.

That would be perfect timing for me if TC gets into the next firmware update!

Thanks for continuing to plug away at it, Ray. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

Anders

As we ain't using a turbo, I guess higher exhaust temperature doesn't matter. And thank you for your answer!

"Real" TC sounds great, I can't wait to test it..

//Emil

• 3 months later...
Guest Marcel B

I am currently testing "real" traction control for the V44 or V88. If it all goes well you may see it in the next firmware version.

Ray.

Hello Ray , I assume I would need a sensor for each wheel to for the "REAL" TC to work :?: