major ignition issues with vipec pnp

Guest |241|

Guys,

I spent most of the day at esp trying to work out why my ej25t gt35 is not making power.

basically its breaking down really badly above 5k and is not making anywhere near the power it should up until then.

the best it could do was 187kw @ 16psi @ 5500rpm (with that motor/turbo setup it should make at least 250kw before it breaks down and dies in the ass.

so basically the setup is, built ej25, gt35, ViPEC PNP ECU, bosch coils, custom made 8.8mm leads, new bkr7e plugs with .8mm gap.

I tried replacing the ignitor, with no success.

all the wiring seems ok, but for some reason the spark is dying at that power

Myself and all the guys at esp are not really sure what is causing it.

My hope is that its a problem with the coils, so ill put a new set in tomorrow if there are any in stock

as far as the vipec is concerned all is well and there are no errors present.

so anyway guys if anyone has any ideas as to a possible cause please let me know.

Thanks

Mick

did it bring up an error on the vipec? or did you find it by trial and error?

I had to reconnect the cam and crank angle sensor factory wiring as the car was fitted with a microtech wire in ecu (the plugs were cut off by the workshop that installed the microtech a few years ago)

I just re soldered new factory plugs on using the factory colour codes, so it should be correct.

Thanks

MIck

My hope is that its a problem with the coils, so ill put a new set in tomorrow if there are any in stock

I have had many Nissan on my dyno with stock coils that are cracked and misfire under load when hot. I now refuse to tune these cars unless new coils are fitted first. If the Vipec shows no trigger errors then you CAS wiring must be correct.

I am very sure ESP will find the cause.

Ray.

All sorted, I replaced all coils, leads and fitted another new set of plugs gapped to .55mm. No3 plug was fouled so that coil was most likely the issue :x

Ray the coils were bosch HEC716's that were only fairly new so it was unusual for it to fail.

Spoke to glen and ill be heading in early next week for a tune.

Thanks for your help guys.

Mick