Project Clean 87 Supra

Guest |497|

Hi all. I just picked up my ViPEC V88 and PnP harness from John Reed yesterday (John's tester model, barely used). I have an 87 Toyota Supra with a 1JZ-GTE out of a JZA70 Supra. I'm running a Driftmotion 60-1 twin scroll turbo with a .70 A/R, full 3" turbo-back exhaust, machined 2JZ-GTE USDM cams, 760cc Bosch top feed injectors (more than I need for this setup, but they'll do the job very well), TTC top feed fuel rail, 1zzfe COP coils with BIC Performance install kit, and a big K&N air filter. As for the rest of the car, I have the Arizona Performance BBK with 13" Wilwood slotted rotors and 4-piston calipers in the front and will soon be getting the matching 12.9 rotors and 4-piston calipers for the rear, and 17x8 and 17x9 wheels with 245's in the front and 275's in the rear. I previously put down 400 RWHP and 347 RWTQ with the same setup, although with 440cc injectors, the stock fuel rail, and an SAFC NEO with the stock ECU. I'm doing some major cleaning up of the engine bay, but here's some pics from a couple months ago since the engine bay is currently under construction. Here's the vid to that dyno pull.

And here's some pics of my beast. The headlights are custom flushmount lights with HID projectors. I'm currently rebuilding them to make them perfect.

0908188.jpg

0908181.jpg

0908182.jpg

0908183.jpg

0908184z.jpg

0908185.jpg

0908189.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

It's coming along nicely now. The dash got ripped out and the heater removed. I cleaned up my engine harness and just got the clarification I needed to do the install of my 1zz setup I got from Randy. I also just got my flushmount boxes from my fabricator so that project will be complete soon. As for Dave, as far as I know he loves his new Supra. I'll post pics of my current progress tomorrow. I'm hoping to be on the rollers next month down at Drift Office in Auburn.

Here's some current pics of how the car is now. The bucket full of wiring and such is all the wiring I removed that went to nothing after I removed the my heater and ignitor wiring.

0912192.jpg

0912193.jpg

11jt2li.jpg

0912204.jpg

My BIC 1zz coil setup, minus the coils themselves.

w2dmr9.jpg

My ViPEC V88 with John Reed PnP harness

0912111.jpg

0912112.jpg

My fuse box relocation, along with a partial view of my ARZ Wilwood BBK setup.

fuseboxq.jpg

My polished intake manifold and throttle body

0911098.jpg

• 1 month later...

I just installed my ViPEC. I screwed the mounting brackets together and then ground down the screw portions that were sticking out. I also zip tied the wiring a little to clean things up. Oh look, my blue spray paint actually matches my ViPEC, funny how that works sometimes. Too bad once the glove box is on you won't see it. And in preparation for Bill Bowering coming down next weekend, I've attached the USB cable to the ViPEC.

1002161e.jpg

1002162o.jpg

1002163n.jpg

1002164.jpg

1002165c.jpg

Ahem... MY SUPRA IS ALIVE!!! Thanks to the major wiring genius that is Bill Bowering and 7 hours of hard work from me and him, my Supra purrs like a kitten. She fired up on the first try (although had to be immediately shut down thanks to me not realizing I didn't adjust the IC pipe going into the TB, causing it to rub on the PS pulley and creating a short spark show). After a quick adjustment of the IC pipe, we fired it back up and it ran very smoothly. Only thing wrong was all the smoke out the exhaust, but I expected that since it's been sitting for the last 6 months without running. I still need to hook up the tach and wideband and replace a couple vacuum lines and extend my MAP sensor harness an inch or so to give it a little slack, but overall I'm very happy. And as strange as this sounds, I didn't take one picture today. I'll try and remember to take a couple pics tomorrow and post them up.

• 1 month later...
Guest |497|

Thanks Ray. I'm really excited to have my Supra back on the road. By the time I go on the dyno it'll have been 7 months since I last drove it. BTW, Bill should be sending you a file to look at. We're having street tuning issues.

• 2 months later...
Guest |497|

Forgot to update this thread. My Supra experienced some wierd problems while at Drift Office. I towed it up to BIC Performance in Langley, B.C. 2 weeks ago and Bill Bowering removed, repaired, and reinstalled my engine harness. Turns out my engine harness had some serious problems, all of which were causing my issues that I had on the dyno. Bill's tuning it Saturday. Wish me luck!

Guest |497|

Bill and Randy at BIC Performance took my Supra out last night for some street tuning. They got my AFR's to 11:1 now while under boost and it runs extremely smooth. It hits redline so quickly now that it caught Randy off guard and really surprised him :D

• 1 year later...

Time for an update. My engine has been fully rebuilt with upgraded cams, turbo, crank pulley, custom engine harness, shaved and repainted engine bay. I'm still having problems with a stutter around 1500 RPM's, starting to think that my V88 has an issue since everything has been inspected and my builder/tuner Bill Bowering is stumped. I'll update this post later with more details and photo's.

Replaced the TPS today. Time to give a full list of what I have done to my Supra. Beginning in late January Bill Bowering (owner of Indepenent Speed Shop in Langley, B.C.) got the green light to do a full rebuild on my Supra's engine bay. Here's the list of what all is I had done to my engine bay and 1JZ-GTE.

Re-ring the pistons because the pistons were loose (100k+ miles on the motor)

Replace the crank

Replace the crank bearings

ATI Super Damper crank pulley

Brian Crower 264 cams

Borg Warner S300SX 88-75 .91 A/R Twin-Scroll Turbo

OEM Metal Headgasket

DEI Titanium heat wrap on the downpipe, manifold, and thermostat neck

Turbo Blanket

Remove the exhaust section from the resonator to the bottom of the downpipe

Install 3" exhaust to replace the removed section and flange it for a V-band clamp

One-off engine harness built by Bill Bowering of Independent Speed Shop

Professionally polish the turbo, valve covers, and intake manifold

Finish polishing the upper water neck

Remove cam gear covers, excess stuff on vertical radiator support

Build intercooler upper support bracket

Custom intercooler piping (2.5" stainless steel)

Custom turbo air inlet pipe

Repair fuel system in front of gas tank

Weld up holes on the fenders, 3 large holes on the passenger side firewall

Paint engine bay

Replace many nuts and bolts with shiny new ones

New Oil Pump

Remove stock hydrofan setup and install dual SPAL electric fans

Replace silicone couplers with black ones

Modify water pump bolts

Build custom mount inside dash for ViPEC V88 ECU, fused relays, and the fuse box that was formerly in the engine bay behind the battery

Replace alternator

Paint many engine bay parts flat black

110607.jpg

1107014.jpg

1107141.jpg

1106248i.jpg

1107142.jpg

1107081.jpg

Last year at the 2010 PacNW Supra Nationals

p7070045.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks. If you look in my build thread on SM you'll see that I'm never done working on it. Hell, I'm tearing apart the lights this weekend for paint and modification. I have to give major props to Bill Bowering, he put a lot of hard work into my engine this year and helped refine my engine bay to what it currently is now. He's the one that taught me about paying attention to the littlest of details (like replacing all my nuts and bolts with new matching ones).

That's for sure. You should see my current list of things to do, it's very long and expensive. This weekend's projects include trimming and removing my headlight setup, painting the front end, and bondo'ing and painting my headlight boxes. Just the tip of the iceberg, lol

good luck :)

I finished my mk3 early this year.... only because I got a mk4 ;) You should see the list for the mk4 since i have to start all over again and get it up to my "par" standards :D

rofl!