2JZGTE VVTI powered MX83 Cressida

Guest |129|

Hi Guys,

This car is one I've been working on in my spare time over the past 12 months, I did all the fabrication and wiring myself apart from the turbo manifold.

Spec:

1991 MX83 Cressida Grande

ViPEC V88 ECU

JZS161 vvti 2JZGTE engine with 0.82 rear GT3582R single turbo on 6boost manifold & 50mm turbosmart progate. The coils have been changed to 2nzfe Yaris items on a custom bracket.

Bosch 023 in-tank pump feeding an ebay top-feed rail with custom stand-off's, Injector Dynamics 725cc injectors, Turbosmart FPR800 regulator and TI 150psi fuel pressure sender.

JZA70 R154 5-speed with JZX100 flywheel and NPC 8-puck clutch with uprated pressure plate, custom shifter, MA70 m/t front driveshaft section with MX83 rear.

3" exhaust with magnaflow mufflers & 2" wastegate pipe.

2.5" outlet from turbo to KKR intercooler with custom end-tanks, 2.75" outlet to modified JZS147 throttle & plenum. turbosmart 38mm dual-port BOV converted to plumb-back.

Rebuilt MX83 LSD with new bearings and upgraded spring, strengthened rear crossmember

TW-spec alloy radiator fitted with EF Falcon thermofans, modified JZA80 VVTI top hose and modified JZX100 lower hose.

complete JZX81 climate control Aircon.

TechEdge 2C0 wideband with LX1 display.

JZA70 front seats, BC racing coilovers, R33 front and rear sumitomo calipers on BA falcon front and JZX100 Chaser rear discs.

The engine is mounted using JZX81 engine brackets and JZA80 insulators with a slightly modified gearbox crossmember, the vipec is mounted in the stock ECU location using half of a 1zzfe ECU case.

The Vipec is setup to control basically everything, a toggle switch is mounted in the cabin to select between boost maps, the injector deadtime table is spanned v's fuel pressure from the TI sender.

I have some 18x8 and 18x9 rims on the way from japan for it so I can fit some wider rear tyres.

overall1.JPG

dump2.JPG

dump3.JPG

exhaust11.JPG

turbo3.JPG

coils2.JPG

ecu1.JPG

front1.JPG

The Yaris coils support 100hp per cylinder pretty easily and work OK with a flat 3ms.

This dwell time was posted for them on the motec forums:

8V 6.3 ms

9V 5.3 ms

10V 4.4 ms

11V 3.8 ms

12V 3.2 ms

13V 2.7 ms

14V 2.4 ms

15V 2.2 ms

I have used the same coils in a couple of cars myself. I actually lowered the dwell a bit from what is listed in the motec thread. The first car I did on this setup would go through several sets of plugs a year with stock ignition coils and igniter. Changed to this same cop setup and we ran the car an entire summer on the same plugs. That included probably 30 passes at the strip, 4 hours on the dyno, and the boost was never lower than 19psi. We where able to also use a slightly larger plug gap and yielded better idle quality. I have one car that does 605rwhp on a 1j with this ignition.

Cool build by the way.

Cheers,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Car's on the road now just running wastegate pressure until I get it to the dyno to tune the high load stuff.

Finished off some more little stuff on it like making a clutch master heatshield, mounting the wideband gauge and installing a new undertray.

Drives really nicely so far, should be interesting to see how it goes with more boost.

overall3.JPG

undertray1.JPG

interior3.JPG

• 1 month later...

I've been messing around for a while now with this one trying to get it to start as nicely as my forester does with it's vipec, but it was still taking more cranks to fire than I thought was normal. I was happy to see the 4.6.9 firmware had changes for startup triggering with the JZ engines, I installed the firmware and it made a noticable difference :)

On 4.5.1:

on 4.6.9:

Look at your start settings. They have a big effect on starting at various temperatures.

Start by turning off the Pre Crank Prime, and concentrate on the Crank Enrichment settings. When you have them set so you have the best start you can achieve, then turn the Pre Crank Prime back on and see if you can make it better.

startup's basically perfect now, very happy with how that's turned out :)

Got the high load tuning started today... ran into a clutch slippage issue so didn't push on past 20psi, will revisit once I've fitted a suitable twin-plate and given the box a freshen with new bearings/syncro's and a couple of other bits.

jzx83_2j_dyno1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Like your setup. I have got a 2j vvti as well running vipec v88.

Is it possible if i could have a copy of your map?

Want to see what settings you use for idle, ethrottle and engine start.

my email is [email protected] if you don't mind sending me a copy.

thanks.

LEO

Hi Leo,

My map wouldn't be much use to you as I'm using a cable throttle, plenum and ISCV from a JZS147 Aristo. My startup settings are basically the same as the generic V88 base map which started almost perfectly with the latest firmware.

Thanks alot.

I am thinking to switch to cable throttle as well.

I will update to latest firmware and give it ago.

Ray, i have updated profile with serial number and the model.

Cheers,

LEO