ViPec integration

Guest Marcel B

Guest Dave-Kriedeman

I have never used any of these products.

The Racepack unit looks very similar to the MOTEC PDM (Power Distribution Module).

These units are unreal, the diversity of things you can do with them is awsome.

I have been keen to set one up, probably in the next race boat.

The PDM get the thumbs up from me.

Guest Marcel B

The Racepak unit is nice but more expensive , I like the price of thr ISIS unit and the fsct that it is expandable! I am seriously considering getting and installing it!

Guest Marcel B

The dimensions given are 6.5"x7"x2" , it is a bit on the large side but this wouldnt be a problem for me since they would be replacing a couple fuse+relay boxes of similar dimensions but how exactly were you dissapointed ?how was the installation , programming and functionality of the unit/s?

but

I got one and was very disappointed. I had 2 more we installed with a customer and found them to be bulky and not nearly as neat as you'd think.

Kind Regards,

Neel

The dimensions given are 6.5"x7"x2" , it is a bit on the large side but this wouldnt be a problem for me since they would be replacing a couple fuse+relay boxes of similar dimensions but how exactly were you dissapointed ?how was the installation , programming and functionality of the unit/s?

Yes, but the quality of the wire isn't great, its not programmable and it still has fuses. Its not comparable in any way, shape or form to a PDM. At first it looks like a good alternative to a fuse box, but in every installation by the time we were done we all asked ourselves "well what did that really get us?"

I'm not saying some people won't find them useful, but at the end of the day it feels like a fuse box without fuses, with a bit of extra polish to it.

-Neel

Hi Neel,

Do you have any experience with RacePak's Smartwire? If I recall correctly, you are a fan of Motec's PDM's. I'm wondering how the RacePak compares price/performance wise.

As you may recall, I purchased a bulk of wire & shrink from ApexSpeed recently, and am looking at rewiring my ECU and engine harnesses & subharnesses over the next few months. While I wasn't previously thinking of rewiring the entire car, I'm starting to develop a case of "while you are in theres", if you know what I mean! :)-

Cheers,

Will

Do you have any experience with RacePak's Smartwire? If I recall correctly, you are a fan of Motec's PDM's. I'm wondering how the RacePak compares price/performance wise.

My experience with RacePak's Smartwire is a string of frustrating emails to them asking for a unit to try and test. I am not asking one for free. In their email newsletters they say they're shipping them but apparently we're not big or important enough to get an email back from their staff.

With the new MOTEC switch panels, the PDMs are simply a no-brainer. I think they make them a better value than the Racepack. I cannot recommend the Racepak soley on the lack of response from them - if this is how hard it is to buy, what is their customer service like?

-Neel

Guest Marcel B

Yes, but the quality of the wire isn't great, its not programmable and it still has fuses. Its not comparable in any way, shape or form to a PDM. At first it looks like a good alternative to a fuse box, but in every installation by the time we were done we all asked ourselves "well what did that really get us?"

I'm not saying some people won't find them useful, but at the end of the day it feels like a fuse box without fuses, with a bit of extra polish to it.

-Neel

Maybe it isn't comparable to the MoTEC unit , but neither is its' price ! the base motec unit is around $1900AU !! I am more interested in knowing if it is an improvement over the OEM system , if it is I will be willing to give it a try.

Maybe it isn't comparable to the MoTEC unit , but neither is its' price ! the base motec unit is around $1900AU !! I am more interested in knowing if it is an improvement over the OEM system , if it is I will be willing to give it a try.

I don't think its an improvement over many OEM systems.

-Neel

Guest Marcel B

I don't think its an improvement over many OEM systems.

-Neel

Wow ! I dont want to come across as "pro ISIS" but I find this a bit difficult to believe , although I DO NOT have any experience with the system After I look at the modules then my existing system in my car I almost come to tears :cry: ! soo many wires and relays and fuses and boxes ! It just cant be worse than that :D

I think the ISIS only bundle some of this:

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/56391.pdf

don't understand why the wiring should be faster with the ISIS ?

You can't program it so whats the diff to a relay from the wiring site of view?

Ah, someone who can express my cro-magnon thoughts in a more intelligent way. Yeah, what he said.

When ISIS came out I immediately contacted them and bought a system, and discussed becoming a dealer. I've worked on 3 ISIS installations since then, and every time I was frustrated with how it didn't really save any time. You can buy pre-built fuse/switch panels that are a whole lot cheaper, and while certainly not as clean or neat, does the job as well, and allows you to swap out relays/fuses/etc to make circuit changes.

When I ordered that first unit, they promised program-ability, CAN integration and a lot more. With that, it would make a lot of sense. but in 3 years, we haven't seen any of that materialize while we've seen PDM prices come down to the point where PDM + savings in labor is a better value.

-neel

Guest Marcel B

quote="Apex Speed Tech"]

I think the ISIS only bundle some of this:

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/56391.pdf

don't understand why the wiring should be faster with the ISIS ?

You can't program it so whats the diff to a relay from the wiring site of view?

Ah, someone who can express my cro-magnon thoughts in a more intelligent way. Yeah, what he said.

When ISIS came out I immediately contacted them and bought a system, and discussed becoming a dealer. I've worked on 3 ISIS installations since then, and every time I was frustrated with how it didn't really save any time. You can buy pre-built fuse/switch panels that are a whole lot cheaper, and while certainly not as clean or neat, does the job as well, and allows you to swap out relays/fuses/etc to make circuit changes.

When I ordered that first unit, they promised program-ability, CAN integration and a lot more. With that, it would make a lot of sense. but in 3 years, we haven't seen any of that materialize while we've seen PDM prices come down to the point where PDM + savings in labor is a better

-neel

This may be very true , but the PDM is limited to only 16 switched inputs which means I would need at least a pair of them to wire my car AND the V88 at $2500 USD a pop :o the ISIS will get it done for a lot less. The installation time is not an issue for me since its a one time install on my vehicle , I do not run a shop

My opinion is as someone who has used both systems extensively. At $1500 for the new RacePack Smartwire PDM, I think the Isis is going to be a dinosaur before too long.

If based on the information you've found, you think the Isis is the right thing for you, I say go for it! Let us know how it works for you.

-Neel