B20 w/ Direct Spark

Jacky Fung

Dear All,

I was modified 5 cars for B20 w/ Direct Spark. Modified Stock Distributor as trigger signal. Run very well on other cars. Until this, it was not smooth around 5000 rpm, and it randomly stuck in 6000 - 8000. Tried rich and lean, even modify spark advance. It happen on road or dyno. Attached w/ the Map and a log on dyno. Is the log file will tell which part have problem? Wire? Sensor in Distributor? Since the log file use external lambda, the lambda is between 12.5 to 13.1 AFR.

Thanks for your kindly help!!

Jacky

B20 COP.pclr Dyno Final.llg

can you grab a trigger scope at idle & at ~6-7k rpm. If your VR sensors are wired backwards it can cause high rpm trigger issues but work just fine at lower rpm.

You also have trigger priority set to trigger2, normally this would be trigger 1.

Not sure if its relevant yet, but it looks like it starts getting noisy signal at the point vtec is enabled @ 5800. May just be a conincidence, but if looking at trigger settings gets you nowhere, move vtec up or down 1k rpm & see if the problem follows it.

Thx mate,

May I know how to grab the trigger scrop in PC Link? For VR sensor, I don't quite understand, you mean the sensor from the original distributor?

I will try to change the trigger to 2 and change vtec rpm and let u know the result.

Thx for your information.

Jacky

Get the engine running, connect pclink, the click ECU Control -> Trigger scope. It will save a log file with only 2x values -  the trigger 1 & 2 voltages as the ECU sees them.

Either noise in this signal, or the wires being "backwards" at the sensor itself can cause triggering issues 

you dont have to drive it while running a trigger scope. just hold rpm at the number you want while the car is in neutral.

I'm assuming that capture was at idle? those little bumps look to align with the teeth on the primary trigger so are probably the "other" trigger wheel teeth going too close to the trigger2 pickup. They dont really matter as long as they are less than the arming threshold. At the RPM you have captured they are fine, but if they get up to near 3.5v higher in the rpm then they might mess up your triggering. 

Hold rpm at 6 or 7k (while standing still in neutral) and run the capture again.