cold start tuning process

lekonna

Hi,

could somebody wiser and more experienced tuner please give me some advice on how to tune cold start properly? I'm having troubles getting my e85 engine starting nicely at around 10C and frankly struggling to figure out how to approach this problem. Just randomly adding or reducing stuff doesn't seem like the way to go here.

usually around third or fourth cranking attempt the engine starts up. if i just keep cranking the first key-turn the engine does not wake up.

what values should i log and how ?

how do i determine if the amount of fuel is either enough or not enough ?

the engine is around 10.5:1 compression ratio 2jz-gte with 272/9.45 cams, the injectors are 2000cc @ 3bar and the coils are 034 motorsports coils. So i should have enough spark to light up about anything.

and to make this the traditional monologue i end up spewing in forums:

figured out the following process, maybe something similar could be written to the help file:

1) if the car does not even burb when you are cranking you don't have enough fuel -> increase crank enrichment

2) if the car rumbles but then dies, you are lacking air. -> increase start-up step/dc table

if the car is getting too much fuel (wetting the plugs) or too much air, i have no idea how to detect.

also good advice on the ignition timing would be appreciated

Press lightly on the the throttle while starting. If the car starts ok, then its a air issue/idle control valve. If it doesnt start its a fuel issue. Have you tried using the pre crank prime ? Might be good to use with E85

Press lightly on the the throttle while starting. If the car starts ok, then its a air issue/idle control valve. If it doesnt start its a fuel issue. Have you tried using the pre crank prime ? Might be good to use with E85

yes indeed, put a 8ms pre-crank prime and changed the startup step table, i used to have the stepper motor and did not take into account that 5 steps is whole lotta different deal than 5% more DC :)

now it fires up better than the original ecu with gas :)

you mind sharing your tune with me? I have a 2j and have terrible cold starts. however it does not get that cold here and when it does I'm usually at work and can't mess with it

let me know and I can pm my email

thanks!