Knock Level Global Reads Zero Until I Restart Engine

Josh Burt

I am dialing in my cold starts in this horribly cold weather. While doing that I am looking at my 'Knock Level Global' values. After doing a cold start it sits flat lined at zero, doesn't matter if I rev the engine or not. Once I restart the engine, the value immediately goes to 16-17, then in the 40's if I rev it a bit, so that part seems normal. I just am struggling to figure out why I get zero on the cold starts. Any ideas? BTW this is on the latest 4.7 firmware.

It looks like this happens after I do a .pcl store. My routine has been for the most part to do a cold start, and collect the data. Then I build a new .pcl file for the next day's cold start. The next day I go out key on (supply ecu with power) connect the usb cable to the laptop, open the new .pcl file and perform a store, then do the start. I'm pretty sure if I were to key off, then back on after the .pcl store I wouldn't have a problem. I'll verify on the next start.