Xtreme coil compatibility

Howard Coleman

Hello to all in Linkland, this is my first post.

i am switching over from the Power FC to a Link Xtreme and am seeking some ignition advice.

currently i employ two Jacobs FC3000 CD amps to power two MSD 8253 coils that spark two leading NGK 6725 plugs thru Magnecor 11mm wires. i run the two trailing plugs thru the factory setup using two MSD 8207 coils.

i have no observable ignition problems at 8600/24 psi/500+ SAE hp w pump 93 octane and two Bosch EV14 injectors supplying 100% methanol. they are currently wired in parallel to the gasoline secondaries and run thru a FJO Peak and Hold module. lead plugs are run as wasted spark. (this will of course change w the Xtreme.)

the primary reason for my post is that my 8253 coils have .16 Primary Resistance.

a statement in the wiring document states:

'One dual post coil (with a primary resistance between 0.4 and 1.0 ohms) is required per 2 cylinders.'

i don't know if this resistance requirement is meant to apply to non dual post coils so my question is am i O K w my 8253 lead coils or do i need something different?

i would appreciate any suggestions that would optimise my Xtreme setup.

thanks,

howard 

The resistance of the coils is of no concern to the ECU.  They are wired to the CDI and factory igniter so it has to deal with them.  The ECU only drives the MSD CDI boxes and the factory igniter.  The Link ECU can be wired in place of the Power FC to drive the CDI and ignition amplifiers.  Make sure you select the correct spark edge setting to suit the MSD CDI.

Be warned that when using high energy ignition setups like this that correct wiring procedures are essential to ensure that you have no problems with interference.