usb problems

Guest |591|

ok so i have my laptop connected, device manager recognized the vipec, drivers installed but now vipec software wont recognize it. i've manually set it to the correct com port to. the only thing that has changed from the last time i had it connected was its now installed into the car and i updated the software.

the vipec has a blue light on btw and i double checked the connection on the vipec to usb.

I recommend you not select the com port number and set it to Auto.

I would unplug the ECU from the harness and the USB cable from the PC. Then shut down the Vipec software.

Plug in the USB cable and look at the device manager and see of the Vipec driver is listed.

Run software again and press F3 to go online.

I would also disable the AutoConnect for the communications.

Ray.

lol :lol: sooooooo i just checked my battery and found out that i had 5V and now being on the charger it works and i got communication. ill slap myself with a fish later

What was the problem here? I still havent figured mine out! (Was your battery flat?)

Ok figured it out, since upgrading from 4.4.3 to 4.7.1 you cannot have both RS232 and USB cables attached. Even though the RS232 cable is not being used, it will stop the USB port from connecting.

That happened to me the other day. I had a dash plugged into the CAN/RS232 port. Rather then remove the cable at the ECU I disconnected if from the dash and found I could not get the software to go online. This is very odd. Now you have had the same thing happen, it is repeatable and not just me. I will get it fixed.

Ray.

• 2 months later...

It has always been the case that you cannot have the PC and a dash connected at the same time. I did at one time think you could unplug the dash cable at the dash end, but this cannot be done. The dash must be disconnected at the ECU before connecting the PC.

There is only one communication channel from the main processor. The goes to the USB and RS232 components on the PCB. This is why you cannot have two devices talking to the processor at the same time.

When CAN communication becomes available you can have a dash and PC connected at the same time.

Guest |491|

Thanks Ray

Only reason I asked, is previously with 4.3 I could disconnect the rs232 cable at the dash, but since upgrading. It now has to be disconnected at the ViPEC due to this noise issue. Which is a pain when its mounted somewhere not easily accessible, anyway bring on CAN.

Guest |518|

Hey Ray I hope you can help me out with a USB issue as well. When logging, the time between samples is rather large (around .6 to 1.2 seconds). I'm quite sure the sample rate was much faster when I first got this ECU. I am logging to my laptop and using COM port #1. Any help with this?