Toyota Tachometer wiring and Link ECU.

rex@rexshort.co.nz

I have gutted an aircraft guage and put the tachometer head off a 1999 Toyota Corolla in it. The Toyota Tacho head has three wires clearly marked:

IG (I guess this gets 12v from the key)

Ground (I guess I earth this)

Signal (Where do I connect this to the link G4+blue storm?) Does it go to for example AUX 5 and set it to Tacho?

Does the Ecu ground the ecu wire? Or does it pulse it with a positive voltage signal?

Thanks for all the help. I am really enjoying this. Kind Regards Rex in Inglewood Taranaki. 

yes use an Aux, the Aux is pulled low by the ECU but has a pullup on it so it will create a 12v square wave (not strong enough to power things but enough to power a solenoid or anything but fine for signals).

The bad news though is that there are two types of tachos one being designed to be triggered by a coil earth and the other by the ECU and I would suspect that your 99 corolla got it's tacho signal from the igniter meaning the ECU can't trigger it as it is. You can buy little boxes that convert from ECU style signals to coil style signals which works just fine but I think it should also be possible to convert your tacho to work with the ECU signal using a couple of resistors.

Maybe test it first and if it doesn't work have a poke through the thread below (I used this thread to make my MR2 tacho work a few years ago).