lancer evo 8 cams 180 reversed but engin running fine

evoplatypus

This is very strange but somehow my evo 8 engine is running better with the camshafts installed to the cam gears 180 deg opposite to what the mitsu manual says and to what all the evo engines I saw have set up. I have skunk 2 gears and there are two holes for the dowel pin on the cams. Normally when the first piston is in TDC the camshafts should be installed in a way were the dowel pin is upward when the marks on the cam gears are aligned with the marks on the valve cover. The cams are GSC S2 but that really doesn't matter. When I installed the cams like that, the engine started but it run terribly bad. Sounded like a tractor. When I installed the cams in a way that the pins on the cams were downwards on the cam gears (which is opposite to what the service manual says and to what all the install movies I watched show) the engine is running perfect. Can someone explain to me where this is coming from? I'm using a Vipec V88 ECU. Fire order is set to 1,3,4,2. Injectors are connected to be Injector Driver 1 -> Injector on cylinder 1, Injector Driver 2 -> Injector on cylinder 2, Injector driver -> Injector on cylinder 3, Injector Driver 4 -> Injector on cylinder 4. Coils are Ign Driver 1 -> coil on cylinder 1 and 4, Ign Driver 2 -> coil on cylinder 2,3. Everything is good with connections on the wire harness, checked that on the Injectors and Ignition tests. What is going on? Why is my motor running better with the cams reversed by 180 degs.