Toyota 2ar dual vvti settings

Jameselectric5700

I'm just about to start wiring and tuning a Toyota 2ar with dual vvti running 2x 3 wire cam position sensors, and a variable intake valve.

I'm planning on wiring the crank sensor to trigger 1 and the 2 cam sensors to DI1 and DI2, VVTi solenoids to Aux 1 and Aux 2, and the intake solenoid to Aux 3. All Aux switched low and 12v supplied off the Main EFI relay.

There is not much info on these engines and no pre configured settings (or similar) that I've found.

Has anyone got any specs, settings, help or advice for me? Crank and cam trigger and VVti settings? Also any dual VVti tuning tips?

I've setup and tuned single cam VVti before but the cam settings were available and there only a inlet cam.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

You'll most likely want Trigger 2 wired to the intake cam sensor unless there is a separate cam sensor that is not part of the VVTI system. A trigger scope once you have it wired up or pictures of the trigger wheels will show trigger pattern.

21 hours ago, Vaughan said:

You'll most likely want Trigger 2 wired to the intake cam sensor unless there is a separate cam sensor that is not part of the VVTI system. A trigger scope once you have it wired up or pictures of the trigger wheels will show trigger pattern.

from what i understand with dual vvti, DI1 and AN1 run 1 cam and DI2 and AN2 run the other cam. The sensors take the readings after the cam adjustment, thanks

Some VVT engines have a separate cam sensor for sync and then sensors on each VVT cam, other engines use the VVT cam sensors for sync.

You need to wire Trigger 2 to whichever cam sensor you are using for engine sync (I would assume intake cam but this can be confirmed later with a trigger scope) and then you can wire any of DI 1-4 to any other VVT Cams.

In terms of your use of "AN1" that would typically refer to an Analog Voltage input on a Link rather than an Aux Output which is what you would want to wire to the VVT solenoid.

Wire it all up and then take a trigger scope while cranking it with the fuel and ignition turned off and then attach that trigger scope here and I can tell you which trigger settings you need.

15 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Some VVT engines have a separate cam sensor for sync and then sensors on each VVT cam, other engines use the VVT cam sensors for sync.

You need to wire Trigger 2 to whichever cam sensor you are using for engine sync (I would assume intake cam but this can be confirmed later with a trigger scope) and then you can wire any of DI 1-4 to any other VVT Cams.

In terms of your use of "AN1" that would typically refer to an Analog Voltage input on a Link rather than an Aux Output which is what you would want to wire to the VVT solenoid.

Wire it all up and then take a trigger scope while cranking it with the fuel and ignition turned off and then attach that trigger scope here and I can tell you which trigger settings you need.

Sorry I did mean Aux outputs. Ok Ill wire it up over the next week, scope the sensors and post up the pics. Here are some pics of the sensors on the motor anyway.

I appreciate you help, thanks James 

20240531_230326.jpg

20240531_230329.jpg

20240531_230332.jpg

One side note after looking at those pictures, 2GR-FE cam sensors require different pullup resistors fitted and your sensors look very similar so you may run into this too. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/402407573652 this ebay listing makes it look like the sensors are the exact same ones, there is wiring information in the PCLink help manual for how to wire up 2GR cam sensors).

On 6/6/2024 at 9:49 AM, Vaughan said:

One side note after looking at those pictures, 2GR-FE cam sensors require different pullup resistors fitted and your sensors look very similar so you may run into this too. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/402407573652 this ebay listing makes it look like the sensors are the exact same ones, there is wiring information in the PCLink help manual for how to wire up 2GR cam sensors).

thanks for the tip, Ill throw a couple of 2.2kohm resistors at the cam sensors then, cheers

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2024 at 9:16 AM, Vaughan said:

Hi

Here is screen shots of the logs, the log files, my base setup so far, and also some pdf's of the vvti and cam crank trigger specs. I really appreciate your help with this.

Thanks James

Screenshot 2024-06-21 225009.png

Screenshot 2024-06-21 225022.png

Screenshot 2024-06-21 225039.png

Trig 1 Trig 2 DI2 test1.llgx Trig 1 Trig 2 DI2 test2.llgx crank and cam signals.pdf vvti spec.pdf 2AR-FE tr1 tr2 di2 good.pclx

I'm not sure how much cam swing you have but the below settings should sort you for always syncing in the right spot, should probably take some more trigger scopes, one at full advance and one at full retard on intake, when it is running to confirm but looks good for now.Capture.thumb.PNG.6562b8d6f9ea4ecb7c044e34552b2a73.PNG

For the VVT setup you should make the below changes in red.

Capture.PNG.32ca77dd296d972d4cc247c0aa63acd4.PNG

For the VVT Solenoid frequency if you have access to a factory vehicle you could scope it to see what it uses or you could maybe try 250Hz which is what I used on my 2GR, unless of course you have documentation stating a different required frequency.

You will of course still need to do the trigger offset with a timing light once you've made those trigger setting changes and don't forget that the angle you find with the timing light could be correct or it could be 360degrees out.