Engine protection multiple

team claymore

Is it possible to setup multiple protection parameters on g4x using ethrottle For eg.

Engine protection 1. lambda reading to low reduce throttle or cut ignition 

Engine protection 2. Engine oil pressure low cut engine

Engine protection 3. Fuel pressure below set threshold,  reduce throttle to only allow low rpm to limp back to pits

Engine protection 4. Engine coolant temp over set threshold reduce throttle for limp 

Thank you again 

You can have a 2nd or 3rd E-Throttle target table that could act as a limp mode or even a different row or column of the main E-Throttle target table if you only need a 2d setup for normal driving and you can have this E-Throttle limp mode triggered by just about anything.

There are 2 GP RPM Limits that can be used to force engine cuts on top of the normal MAP and RPM Limits which often use ECT on one axis anyway, note things like oil pressure or fuel pressure could be done with Math Blocks (oil presure/rpm or fuel pressure - manifold pressure, or just use differential fuel pressure).

Lambda protection would be the hardest to setup at the moment but you can definitely do something like Lambda is above target for this long over a certain MAP or something, depends on exactly what method you want to use to determine that there is a dangerous lambda and how fast you want to react to it.

Ok thanks, I'll try work out how this is done because I feel having some insurance would put my mind at ease. I'd rather head back to pits and go back through data log to see what happened as opposed to knocking all the way back. Is there a topic that already covers setting these gp limits somewhere here I can read up on, as for math block I'm not on that level yet ( willing to learn ) but still learning to navigate the link. I'll need to read more in regards to setting ethrottle also, so anything that might help me better understand this would be greatly appreciated !

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a try at setting up an ethrottle 2 to come into play and control throttle when fuel pressure drops below 30psi.  Any chance you could take a look and see if the math block equation is setup correctly.  Should i be doing something with the figures above 30psi or will it not matter as i am only requesting for below. I didn't know how to activate a 2nd e throttle 1 target so that is why i went with e throttle 2. Also i cant seem to find the drop down to open math block from the top. let me know where im going right or wrong, thanks again

.pclx

I have successfully setup lean protection before. Lambda 1 on y-axis and Lambda Target on x-axis. The box where Target of 0.95 and Lambda 1.0 meets is where you'd implement RPM cut because it'd be 1 afr leaner than your target.

In the box where 1.0 Target meets 1.0 Lambda enter 10,000 rpm.

I think I set it up with 1 second delay.

E-Throttle 2 should be off as you only controlling one physical throttle (as far as I'm aware) and I've corrected the math block, note the reason for changing the value to 207 is because math blocks always deal with the raw values in the ECU which are in kPa not psi regardless of what the displayed units are in PCLink.

Capture.PNG.993156e91235282ee83d6b5a53275c48.PNG

Your requirements are a bit overkill for a mathblock though, I would tend to use a GP Output and a virtual aux for this purpose as shown in the picture below. Note this setup allows you to use psi units as the gp output conditions have their values change with displayed units and you could also use the On Delay and Off Delay values to control how long the pressure has to be low for before it trips and how long it will hold the fault e-throttle before it goes back to normal.
You can also add other conditions to the same GP Output to trigger the same E-Throttle table based on your other fault conditions.
If you want it to stay in fault state until power cycle this can also be done, let me know if you want an example of this (add another condition with an OR between them and the extra condition being that virtual Aux 1 is active).

Capture.PNG.a79e735887ad028563dd2d5ada855376.PNG

Is your fuel system returnless or do you have a manifold pressure reference to your fuel pressure regulator? if you fuel pressure is referenced against manifold pressure you will want to use "Differential Fuel Pressure" instead of "Fuel Pressure".

With regards to your E-Throttle Target tables they should have 0% target for 0% throttle with the Idle Speed Control setup set to E-Throttle instead of solenoid and then the Idle Speed Control can do all the 0% APS throttle control as pictured below. You will need to retune all your idle base positions, offsets and integral.

Capture.thumb.PNG.d82ec5d896136384d7c2defd287396ff.PNG

Thank you, yes i am using fpr manifold sensed so i will change it to differential fp. I will make the changes you have suggested too.  I didn't know i could do it this way so i will drop the math block.  yes show me an example of how to stay in fault state please.

I have another question, will this setup you have mentioned above act as a fault indicator or will it shut the engine down or give me limited throttle. I was aiming to get a response of low fuel pressure results in limited throttle for eg.  10%throttle opening no matter what i do to accel pedal

On 6/26/2024 at 12:29 PM, team claymore said:

yes show me an example of how to stay in fault state please.

Example of an output (Virtual Aux 1) that will turn on if differential fuel pressure is below 30psi for at least 1s while the engine speed is greater than 400rpm (so that key on but fuel pump off doesn't trigger it) and once it has become active it stays active even if fuel pressure recovers and only resets on power cycle.

Capture.PNG.d86514b236622a588ca8b169fd176d1f.PNG

On 6/26/2024 at 12:29 PM, team claymore said:

I have another question, will this setup you have mentioned above act as a fault indicator or will it shut the engine down or give me limited throttle. I was aiming to get a response of low fuel pressure results in limited throttle for eg.  10%throttle opening no matter what i do to accel pedal

So use Virtual Aux 1 as the trigger for E-Throttle 1 -> Table 2 activation and then in E-Throttle 1 Target 2I would recommend having 0% for 0% APS and 10% for say anything over 10% APS so that you do still have some throttle control but you can't command more than 10% throttle, if you just keep it at 10% throttle at 0% APS then it won't idle when you clutch in and release the accelerator.

As shown in my example E-Throttle 1 Target 2 table in that previous post