Link GTS-T R33 bad leaning

shawn jacobs

Hey, I'll give the full story, first problem with factory ecu, driving along dropped to five cylinders all over a sudden narrowed that down the the no2 cylinder injector not firing due to no pulse from the ecu. Purchased link gtst second hand for a steal, plugged in and tuned running really well made 211kw at the wheels with standard turbo pump and injectors, next day car devolpes a miss off boost, which very quicky gets worse and actually drops to five cylinders by the time i get it back to the mechanic, starting it up again the car has now also devolped a knock (big end bearing) it is quickly discovered that it is the no.2 cylinder that is not firing again by removing the coil lead. upon removing the spark plug we see that it is absoulutly fried missing pretty much the whole top, we then checked the no.1 spark plug also rooted but not as bad, then we checked the no.3 spark plug perfect?!? The mechanic has put this down to the no.1 and no.2 injectors been stuffed, although this is still to be tested, my question is... is this sort of thing heard of or is it more likely a fault in the ecu, been second hand or perphaps poor tuning??? I really want to get this narrowed down cos the new motor (rb30det) is not going to be cheap and i really don't want to have the same problem happen to it thanks in advance

To get it out of the way, this is NOT a typical ECU fault.  In fact I have never heard of it.   If the ECU was to go lean, it would be on all cylinders not just one.  OK, well you have established that for some reason the front two cylinders ran lean and fried... First impressions would suggest an injector fault.  Get them independently tested on a flow bench.  It is unlikely they would be that bad, but definitely possible.  I dont want to point fingers, but it is most likely a tuning fault that caused this.  Maybe when it was tuned, the mixture measued at the tail pipe was an average of the four rich (tooo rich) cylinders and the two lean cylinders???  Another posibility is a fuel delivery problem.  Very common on these cars.  Maybe when the fuel supply starts running short it is the front cylinders that suffer?  I would definitly recommend doing a fuel delivery test.  I would have the injectors tested (and also consider if they will be big enough for the power you want), make sure the pump can deliver enough fuel (experience says that a 300zx or Bosh motorsport pump will need to be fitted), test all coil packs and HT leads, then tune the motor cautiously on a dyno stopping every now and then to check the state of the cylinders that ran lean...

thanks for the reply Ashley, much appreciated, after the rebuild it will be fitted with bigger injectors, and fuel pump but i really should have done the pump before pulling to much power out of the motor me thinks. Just glad to hear that it's not the link cos i'm a real fan of the features it offers and i didn't want to replace it thanks again