trigger set up mitsubishi

mike davies

hello have mitsubishi galant 1993 6a12 motor, 2l v6. just wanting advise on trigger set up, has crank and cam sensors, 3wire so have choosen optical/hall. there are 3 teeth on crank pick up. cam sensor has 4 pick up points. have tryed setting to multi-tooth setting but timing is happening at tdc no 1 but again at about 90-120degs again when using timing light. i should add firing order is factory 1,2,3,4,5,6. should i be using 1 tooth per tdc trigger set up and i have also tryed mitsubishi gto setting but didnt get to check ign timing. it is running factory ign module and 3 coils with wasted spark.

Firstly what ECU are you using?  G2 or G3.  If it is G2 I will need to know what sub-board is fitted inside the ECU.  My trigger information for a GTO shows three teeth on the crank and four on the cam.  You should probably be working with GTO triggering assuming your engine has the same trigger arrangement as a GTO.  You will not be able to use 1 PPTDC as your engine is not distributed.  You will need to do some diagnostic work to make sure you have the cam sensor wired to trigger 2 and crank wired to trigger 1.  Have you connected the power supply and grounds for the sensors.  Check in PCLink that a YES is shown for each trigger signal and that no trigger errors are counting up (1 or two on the first engine revolution is OK).  Remember to do a timing calibration.