VLLink MAP Sensor installation

richard p

Hello, I have recently purchaced a VLLink plug and play ecu. The tune that is currently on the ecu is very similar to my setup at the moment so i have no doubt it will run with the ecu installed. Basically stock feul system with a few bolt on mods. For installation of the map sensor i have to plug in 3 wires into the AFM loom. The colours of the wires on the map sensor are as follows 1 - Black 2 - Red 3 - White I can asume the that black is ground and the red is positive. The white wire would then be for signal. Am i safe in saying this? There are connections on the afm loom and they are as follows. 1 - 26 - Air temp sensor 2 - 36 - Body ground 3 - 31 - Output signal 4 - 12 - Air wire self cleaning 5 - Battery power (from EFI relay) 6 - 30 - Mixture screw From my research there are only 3 wires that make it back to the stock ecu that relate to the afm. From this link here http://wiki.r31skylineclub.com/images/c/c9/Pinouts_R31-RB20and30.gif looks like pin 2, 6 and 3 are the only wires used directly for the afm. Well it looks like ive answered my own question Well, just making sure. Need a bit of confirmation that on the map sensor black is ground and would goto pin 2, red would goto 5 and white to pin 3. Thanks in advanced for any input

thanks for that, didnt notice that there. I have installed the ecu and it runs fine. just in need of a tune now :) I have another question regarding the map sensor. Say i have a 1bar map sensor (i possibly do). Does this mean that any value +or- 1bar from 0 vaccume is picked up by the sensor. One bar is roughly 14psi. The car idles at -20psi does this mean that anything inbetween -20 and -14psi does not get registered..... or could it even mean half a bar each way gets registered. -7psi to +7psi. This really makes a difference in time and price for me and im keen to find out.

MAP sensors are rated in absolute pressure.  Say you have a 2.5 bar map sensor, then it can measure 2.5 bar absolute.  A complete vacuum is 0 bar, atmospheric pressure is about 1 bar at sea level, so 2 bar absolute is 1 bar above atmospheric pressure (or about 14.7 psi of boost).  Therefore a 2.5 bar sensor can measure anything from a complete vacuum to 1.5 bar above atmospheric pressure (about 22psi boost). 

Your VLLink will not have a 1 bar sensor, more likely a 2.5 bar or 3 bar sensor.  They are almost always shipped with a 2.5 bar sensor...