wasted spark options

Callum O'Neill

Hi I have recently inherited a links computer (non-G2) (my uncle has upgraded to a G2) I am in the process of upgrading the ignition system in my 1974 bmw 2002. the bmw 2002 runs an m10 engine so manifold, injectors and pump are taken from an e30 bmw. I will be using a hall sensor that will pick-up from magnets mounted to the crankpully. I want to loose my distributor and go with wasted spark. My questions are these. 1) there is no easy way to put a sensor on the cam shaft as it is fully enclosed. how can I supply an input to the link so that it knows which cylinder (which of the two coil packs) to fire? 2) Do you know of any common makes of car I will be able to find at the pic-a-part that has simple two way ignitor and two dual post coils. The part that scares me is how I am going to work out which terminals on the ignitor do what? is there a simple way of determining the purpose of each terminal. Thanks in Advance Callum

After further research I figure I can place another hall sensor in the old distributer itself to gain cam timing to compliment the crank sensor. I have just been out to pick-a-part and found many dual post coils. However I could not find the ignitors on these cars (??).. I assume it is possible to use two single coil ignitors (as there was plenty of these)??

A good combination of dual popst coils and igniters is a mitsubishi VR4/EVO setup.  Link also sell a dual channel igniter that will do the job.  Note that you may need to have the ECU configured (by means of a subboard swap) if it is not set up for the triggering arrangement you wish to use.