Questions Regarding Link G3 for EVO VIII

Theodore Breaux

After looking through the literature for your G3 for the EVO VIII, I have two questions: - Is there a closed loop fuel control fixture for part throttle operation? If so, are thresholds for closed loop operation user-definable? - Is the system configurable for full-time wideband O2? The one I have presently is an Innovate LC-1. Thanks in advance.

EVOLink G3 has Closed Loop Lambda (CLL) this uses the factory narrow-band sensor or a wide-band sensor to automatically trim the fuel mixture for best economy/emissions at cruise, part throttle and idle.  I would recommend using a narrow band sensor for CLL.  The upper and lower RPM and load points at which CLL operates can be adjusted.  A wide-band sensor can also be wired and used for display and logging.  The ECU has user definable calibration.  We recommend the use of the Innovate LC1.  The best thing would be to download the latest version of PCLink and have a look at all the possible adjustments...

I downloaded PCLink previously, but I did not see the CLL function listed (where is it?), hence my question. Also, are the CLL values user adjustable, or are they fixed at 14.7 or another figure? One more question: There is a feature that fixes the timing retard once knock is detected, and does not reset until the car is keyed off. Is this feature fixed or can it be toggled on/off?

CLL will only be visible in PCLink V3.29 onwards.  I can assure you that CLL is available in EVOLink G3 ECU's.  CLL usses a target voltage.  You can change the target voltage, but with a narrowband sensor you have to run a 14.7:1 AFR as that is the only point the sensor works properly.  With a narrow band sensor you could adjust the target voltage, but it would be a bad idea to move it too far from 14.7:1 as it is only idle/cruise.  There is no target AFR table as it is not intended to be an "autotune" function.

Knock control uses a 3D knock threshold table and the ignition 4D table.  When the actual knock level exceeds the knock target then timing is pulled out at the current load/rpm point.  You control where timing is pulled out by setting the targets to unreachable values where you want no knock control.  Knock control can be turned on or off and all retard values are reset at key off.