Smooth the Fuel Map

Chipset

I love the "new" features of interpolate extrapolate etc, but i think what is really missing from PC link is a feature that will Smooth the fuel map after tuning  to eliminate "spikes" and "holes"  as there is in other Ecu software.

The smoothing feature have to be clever and if there is a spike  ( a cell with much higher value that the surrounding cells )  lower the value to this cell and give the surrounding cells a bigger one that will have the same results at AFR's  but with a nice looking smooth 3d map .

This may be tricky as one spike fix may result into  a new spike or hole , but i think that Ashley mathematics  gonna do the job just right =)  , or simple if someone notice a spike after the first smoothing procedure  ( Easy to see if you enable the color mode Key = H )  can run "smooth" one more time.

Even if you use quicktune  and tune the map column by column those spikes and hole exist  and the only way to fight them is by hand .  Some ppl may say "If it is running the right AFR why do you care ?"  but im not like this because a smooth map is always nice and easy to modify  later if you are making changes to the motor or the tune .

I really hope for this one

In case you are confused  im attaching a photo with a part of a fuel map  ,  that in both cases will result  in  same AFR's  but the first have a nice hole  and the second is the result of smoothing  .

The real thing behind a very smooth map and a  "bumpy" one is that you dont "stress"  the injectors to  make huge changes to their pusle in fractions of a second  .....      Engines are linear "devices"  and love to work like this =)

If you take a closer look you going to see that the surrounding cells of the trouble one cell ( hole ) have much bigger values than in the smoothed one  .

Imagine that you have  2 cells  let say 3000 rpm and 3500 at a random engine load     and you are holding the engine exactly between  those 2 cells at 3250        let say that your cell 3000 have a fuel value 50 and the 3500   55   this is going to result in the same afr if the values was exactly the opposite  ( cell 3000  value = 55   cell 3500 value = 50 )   because in both ways the  fuel value for the 3250 cell going to be 52.5  .

And by stressing the injectors i dont mean that you going to blow them  but it is much easier and most responsive for an injector to make small changes than constant big jumps back and forth.

And  lastly you can say by looking any map from every tuner that the tune is "nice" if you see a smooth 3d map   in other way if you are looking at big spikes and holes  with the numbers to be all over the place then there is something really not going on right .

Other than that  the 3d map  plus the Color Map  ( shortcut key H ) are features that  help you to find problematic cells like those that i describe  , Holes and spikes with abnormal values compered to the surrounding cells .