Link Buick V6 Marine ECU's

Tom Lang

I have a supercharged 3.8L V6 engine from Wasp Marine. It came with two ECU's with the following ID's. "Link Buick V6 D42WASP3 130902" and "Link Buick V6 D42WASP3 170402". I also got a "Hand Held Tuning Module" and a long cable with a connector for the ECU on one end and an AMP 16 pin round connector on the other. 1. Is this ECU compatible with PCLink and ComLink? 2. Can this ECU be re-programmed or is it a proprietary program by the manufacturer of the engine and therefore parameters can only be viewed? 3. What is the cable with the AMP connector on the end for? 4. Where is pricing info for ComLink; I did not find it on the Price Sheet.

Answers:

1. These ECU's were not compatible with PCLink
  2. This ECU can be re-tuned using the tuning module.  It has base numbers (reload numbers) as specified by Wasp Marine.  To use it on a different type of engine it would have to come back for modifications.
  3. I am not sure what the cable is, maybe a Wasp Marine cable.  If it plugs into the main ECU header, then it may just be a wiring loom extension.
  4. ComLink's are no longer sold.  What you need is a SerialLink (and a USB-Serial adapter from a computer store if your laptop has no serial port).

Regarding paragraph 2, it sounds like the parameters can be adjusted slightly by the tuning module, is that what you are saying? Are they only allowed to be changed while the tuning module is plugged in (i.e. adjustments are not saved in memory? Can the tuning module also display rpms, oil pressure, etc? Where can I read about the operation of the tuning module? Regarding paragraph 3, yes it is a WASP cable and simply allows remote mounting of the ECU so it does not have to be mounted in the engine compartment.

The parameters can all be adjusted by the tuning module, there is no restriction due to the special software.  What is special about it is that they went out with default numbers for a Wasp Marine tuned engine.  That was to save them having to tune every ECU...

Adjustments can be permanently saved in memory.  Note that this ECU can be upgraded to V5 software which will allow PC tuning if you want.

The tuning module will display everything the ECU measure and calculates.  Eg RPM, engine temp, throttle position.  Oil pressure is not measured by the ECU.

If you download the V5 instruction manual from the website you will be able to read about the tuning module adjustments.  Check Here

• 1 month later...

The engine runs great on one of the two ECU's I have. However, on one of the ECU's I get no sparks, the other works perfectly. It appears that the 3 ignition "output resistors" are ok. Obviously this is probably not a user-serviceable ECU but is there anything else I could check? I think each of the ECU's are the same, however, the ID of the what I will call, "main chip" is slightly different. Can I remove this so-called main chip from one ECU and install it in the other? How do you remove it? If I want to send the one G1 to you for service, is it a flat-rate kind of affair or could it get so expensive I should not even bother considering the age of the ECU? thanks, Tom Lang

• 1 month later...

Question on hooking up a tachometer gauge. Would this be the RPM Brown/White wire? Or would it be the IG3 Blue/White wire? I think in my case it would be Brown/White as IG3 is used to power the 3rd ignition coil. Correct? If Brown/White goes to tach would "pulses" be setup in such a way that tach should be set to "six cylinder" for this V6 setup? FYI, both CPU's I have work now so sending back not necessary at least for now, thanks. Tom Lang

The tacho wire (brown/white) will output one pulse for every ignition event.  So, it will output a six cylinder tacho signal on a six cylinder engine.  You will need a six cylinder tacho that can run off a low level signal.  Most aftermarket tachos that are designed to run from coil negative will not work with the 0-12V tacho output.  Most factory gauge clusters are happy with 0-12V.